1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Selling Extended Warranties

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mjtrole, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

I was curious if anyone has tried selling extended warranties to new installation customers as their warranties were about to expire.

I bought a new washer and dryer 1.5 years ago and when my warranty was about to expire they sent me and extended warranty option and it makes sense and I might look more into it when the season is over this year.

Anybody ever try this, anybody have any opinions or pros/cons?
  2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting... I guess you would have to inspect the system before giving a price since every system is different. You could always sell a service contract which would give discounts on any repairs, that might be the better way of handling it.
  3. Because of the fact that an irrigation system can so easily be abused, I wouldn't even think about an extended warranty for that reason.

Washer, dryers ect... don't get turned on for fun
    don't get ran over by mowers
    aren't exposed to the elements necessarily
    and many more.

You would be better off selling a service plan which would include every so often, checking and auditing the irrigation system.

A warranty,unlike a service plan in the long run is going to cost you money.

Just my thoughts. Nice angle though.
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

properly worded , marketed and executed an extended warranty would be the core income for an irrigation company . The profit would far exceede installations . I have one and have been selling it for 3 years .
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

My general knock against the extended warranty is that the systems that need extra protection are systems I could be very happy having nothing to do with. Not sure how one warrants for a system that needs a dozen or so Flo-Pro valves located and replaced.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Most warranties are regulated specifically by state and some states have real sticklers. I think the service contract would be better. Perhaps fewer legal ramifications and a lot more like preventative maintenance? :)
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Quite so. "warranty" has a legal significance, where as "guarantee" doesn't.