Selling Extras: What do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Aug 16, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious as to how everyone sells the extra services that should be done coming up soon, like aerating, dethatching, and overseeding. I don't normally push to sell extras because i'm booked already and work solo. however i have a friend who will be visiting for a few months and wants to earn some money, so i'm toying with the idea of doing the extras this year.

2. To mow customers
    Direct mail - (also mail to previous aerate/detatch/etc. customers)
    notes on weekly work order
    ask when I see them

And
    Seasonal flyers for all services

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

wasnt for these exstras i wouldnt have any spending money. sealed a deck yesterday an roofed a garage today.
    im being taken care of . nuff said about that on this forum . but it is true.
    as far as how i charge. depends on the difficulty.after expenses ,i cleared over 200 on these jobs . an glad to get it.
    about 3 hrs per job.

4. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

as far as selling, i more less make a suggestion and then when they ask why, i explain the pros and cons ........the pros outweigh the cons on most cases....... most of mine comes from small talk about different things........i have gone as far as replacing the boards that gutters hang on and painting them........ they were rotted out and had hornets nest up in the house attic at the edge of house.........now the gutters are hangin nicely.......never hurts to make a suggestion.......the worst that can happen is they pass up the idea

5. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

start with the little things, gutter cleaning, window washing, pressure washing sidewalks, buildings, I guess I could go on w/all the little upsale you could provide to your customers, when you are at the site, start bye doing a walk around the site, make a list of some things you could do then ask the customer if they have sometime to go thru the list, 99% of the time the customer will even add to it. do the little things it does'nt cost a lot of money to clean gutters, I charge a min of $65.00 for 1story, $125.00 to get up on 2nd story, there is always a little something to do to make $$$$$$$$$$.... HOPE THIS HELPS .....

6. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Use a newsletter to educate... Aeratation special... but why?? Topdressing time is now because.... most people like to learn, plus it minimizes post purchase remorse because it was an educated decision..

jf

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I do like Bob Minney and this year I will refer them to my Website for additional information.

Thanks for reminding me. Its time to start.

8. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We do sell extras - particularly as they relate to the landscape (we steer away from non-landscape work). Aerating and thatching are part of the maintenance program and the customer really has no choice as to whether we do the work or not - so we don't sell these as extras. They hired a professional to maintain the property, so we'll make the decision. We do however try to educate our customers to let them know why we are doing the service and how their lawn will benefit.

We do upsell annuals - up to four color rotations a year. We do direct mail and talk it up in person. Our mailers go out with monthly statements and as separate direct mail pieces either a post card or letter.

We also sell slit seeding as an add on and do the same. However more of this is sold on the spot when looking at the customers property or making a note if they're not home and calling in the evening.

We have used direct mail to our customers and a newsletter to our customers and a broader mailing list. The newsletter works well since we seek to educate the customer. People buy from people, and particularly from those that educate them. I found the softsell approach of an educational newsletter to be more successful than a hard sell - particularly to prospective customers.