selling first job

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Sprinklordman, May 14, 2007.

1. Sprinklordman

Sprinklordman LawnSite Member

can anyone remember how easy or difficult it was to sell their first install? I just started out, i distributed 300 flyers today with a friend that works for the post office. just waiting on calls for the free estimates. hopefully someone will call, i have first job anxiety. how did you first ever sale go?and howd you do it.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I remember flyers. Those were the good old days.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You mean the ones with the dotted lines on a piece of 8x10 that you tore off
    that said "sprinklers installed"?

4. Mike Leary

All seriousness aside..tell us about you..have you any experience? Do local
    suppliers offer "Toro School" or other stuff...are you going to bother this
    forum with stupid questions? As far as I have seen, this group, if they trust
    your intent, will be there...'cause most of us arrived the same way!
    Be carefull with free estimates...shooting from the hip is best left to elders,
    I did many free designs just to learn the trade & figure pricing, nothing wrong
    with that...prepare to eat some time.

5. Sprinklordman

My brother and I are fairly young , 22 yrs old. We started with a leading irrigation company when we were 17. My brother and I both worked as installers for the first season. Then he went on to become a service foreman while I became a lead hand for an installation crew. A year after that through hard work and dedication i became a crew foreman for installations. I have taken part in well over 1000 installations, 500 spring openings, 500 blow outs. My brother has the service side of it.
    Its just the two of us and we are mainly focusing on installations at first. We are both have our C.I.T. currently working on our C.I.C.'s. We use rainbird products. feel free to ask if there is anything else you would like to know.
    Also there is a great demand irrigation because of all the new construction and few irrigation companies.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

good luck buddy...being young is a good thing in this biz....Knock them dead!!!!

7. Sprinklordman

haha thanks, I will definately try. I'll sweet talk the hot lonely housewives.

8. Mike Leary

urk urk..sound of blind leading blind.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

in my trade i thought they would be all over me..

but sadly most of the richie chicks treat me as a ditch digger..

what do you intsall for basic rotor heads/sprays?
    poly pipe?
    do you plow or pull?

just wondering

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

Dont listen to these guys young Squire..

I just joined here...these guys are pretty cool...no swearing,no BS, just irrigation....

I like it...
    Im eddie