Selling in mulch work

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eggy, Jan 13, 2002.

1. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

One option that we use a lot is that we do the mulching early in the spring and add it into there monthly maintenance contract price. Example : a client is charge $200.00 for 8 months of maintenance. Lets say you installed 10 yards of mulch in april. 10 yards = $550.00. Break down that $550.00 over the 8 months = like $68.00. So instead now you charge like $268.00 a month for maintenance. The only negatives are that you are going to have to front the money for the mulch and labor. But, you will get it all back in the long run, and will increase your mulch sales. Some clients get scared when they see a mulch estimate for $550.00, but seeing an extra $68.00 a month, doesnt scare so many away.;)

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a freind that does just mulch and he mackes good money doing it. I think if you made a spacific flyer that was just for mulching. most of the higher end homes (that don't have rock) remulch every year. my freind does not even do any commercil acounts. It is all about word of mouth if you do a quality job then they will tell the freinds and so on till you have so much work you can't do it all. just my 2 cents

3. VRL

VRL LawnSite Member

Does any one have a flyer to do this type of service and would like to share it with us, just to get an idea?

Thanks.

4. VRL

VRL LawnSite Member

Paps, that sounds good. What about 50% down and adding interest every month on the balance? How much? 18% per year?

5. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

You can take a down payment then break the rest over a few months... i wouldnt charge interest, but i would increase the total price of the job a few dollars if they pay by the month. I.E Total mulch job is $1200.00 due upon completion of work ... or Mulch is $1350.00 with a down payment of $350.00 and a balance of $1000.00 billed over 8 months in their maintenance contract. Something along those lines would work. :p