Selling landscaping vs. sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CSRA Landscaping, Jun 19, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a call today to go and look at a woman's yard to recommend some sort of sod work. When I got to looking at it, I thought that it would look much better landscaped since it looks like trash right now. I was wondering what I could do to help sell her on the idea, because it would bem 'da bomb.'

2. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

I would show some planting photographs from previous jobs with some decrative stonework etc.., or if none available or on hand, just some nice landscape pictures from many of the magazines that are available on the market. Home depot has a few books

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

First find out if she has the money for landscaping. You might sell her on landscaping and loose your sod job because she " decided to wait untill she could do it all at once ". Generally if they are happy with your sod work then they will call you back to do landscaping anyway, at least get a signed contract for the sod work before you convice her she needs landscaping.

Jim L

4. CSRA Landscaping

Jim, the problem with that is this: the landscaping would be right where the sod is slated to go.

5. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a small sod job then I would definatly go for the landscaping angle.

Good Luck,
    Jim L

6. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

How old is the lady? If she is elderly, sell her on the thought of a little more money now and less down the road. I have a similar situation as I had planned on sodding a lawn and the owners themselves decided that stones were the way to go.

7. CSRA Landscaping

She's going to talk with her boyfriend and they're going to decide exactly what they want, then call me back. :D That tells me that I've at least been partially successful.