Selling lawn route

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joemowz, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Joemowz

Joemowz LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about selling a mowing route I have built up over the past 10 to 15 years. There are about 15 lawn accounts, all in the same neighborhood, which I maintain weekly (mow, string-trim, & blow). In addition, a fall clean-up is done for each account. The average cost is $30 per cut and $200 for the fall clean-up. The annual "cost-per-customer" is around $980 (including the $200 fall clean-up).

Is there a formula or a "% per lawn" to figure out how much the route should be sold for?

What do you guys think I can sell for?
    *My equipment is not included in the sale.

Thanks,

Joe

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

2 weeks gross, no more than a month. Why not selling your equipment? Going to hit another neighborhood and build back business? If that is the case, most buyers would want a non-compete clause if they had their wits about them.

3. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

find another company that mows in that area.

4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

4 X mowing price, incidentals like spring cleanups are just extra for the buyer in my equation. Just sold my 30 accounts this way, both buyer and seller are happy.

5. Joemowz

Joemowz LawnSite Member

do you mean 4X the weekly amount or yearly amount?

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

4X weekly

7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Where are you selling the accounts? I have a friend who might be interested if they are in the right town.

8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Am I missing something here?
    15 accounts is a mowing route? Do you mean you're selling a days worth of mowing for a crew? Why are you selling them if they are money makers?
    Are you getting out of the business? If not, tell me why you are selling these accounts, please.

9. Lamothe

Lamothe LawnSite Member

Where are you located?I might be interested in purchasing your accounts.Thanks.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The rate that I heard was 8 weeks worth of cuts. I bought some commercial accounts from a friend of mine 3 years ago. We agreed on 7 weeks worth of cuts for the price. I think I paid $2800 for the accounts. Th first year I grossed about $12,000 off of these accounts. I still have these accounts and every year they generate a little more income than the previous year.