1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Selling mowers?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you guys ever considered starting a business selling lawn equipment or atleast wanted to? Would you be able to give yourself deals? I was thinking it would be weird selling to your competitors and hard to operate both businesses, but the big company in my town has a seperate guy for the plow section of the company, and he has his own truck. The company he has is called Mr. Plow. The main company is Flory's. He runs all grasshoppers. I always thought they were mainly for wide open areas, but he bags them. I guess if you sold mowers, you could open the business in another town. If you opened at your current maintenance location, do you think it would be worth it? I'm interested to hear what you all think. Also, what three brands of mowers would you most like to sell and what one brand of handheld equipment?

-Nick Howard
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Toro,eXmark,Wright stander mowers:usflag: echo/redmax blowers and handhelds.:weightlifter:
    IMO I don't think it would work out if you did it along side your landscaping. I don't like helping the competition (unless there good guys and help me out to)
  3. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

The owner of the local Scagg and Exmark dealer used to run a couple crews. After he opened the store, he said he had trouble with customers not wanting to buy from the competition. He Gave up the maintenance and only runs the store. His place is the premier spot to buy commercial equip.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My partner and I have mowed for over 15 years. Three years ago, we opened a shop to sell lawn equipment. We sell Redmax, Grasshopper, and Gravely. We still run one crew, to handle work for a select few, long-time customers. Other landscapers have no problem buying from us, as they know we are not out bidding work, and, as we downsize, we refer our former customers to those who buy from us. We also will use our own equipment as loaners, if a customer has a machine down for repairs.
  5. wecruisin

wecruisin LawnSite Member

There's a place here that runs a nursery, sells equipment and runs about 4 crews of cutting and landscaping. The nursery part of it barely makes it, but it helps them out being able to get the stuff for the landscaping part of their business. Their equipment sells dept. seems to sell a pretty steady amount. And the 4 or so crews they have running are always busy so i guess that's working out pretty good too. I guess it all depends on location and the ability to handle everything that comes along with running all different branches of a business.