1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Selling mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, May 27, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Next year I am thinking of expanding my operation. I have done some brief research so far and have decided on possibly selling mulch. Does anyone know if I would have to have land zoned commercial to set up a nursery/mulch yard. Anyone have luck with a similar operation?
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you can afford to buy one of those big trucks that "blow Mulch" I can't see you making much money. Mulch has always been a labor intensive material to sell. Just my opinion.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I think he means retail sales.

A guy here has set up a yard and he sells mulch, top soil, mushroom compost and rocks. I think he is doing pretty good but don't know the legalities.
  4. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Yes, I am referring to retail sales. The guy I use goes through about 15,000 yards a year, in a terribly run operation with one person on the phone, 1 full time driver and one guy on a backhoe doing the loading. They also contract out some dump truck labor. It definately is profitable.
  5. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I too want to get into the retail business.I have a friend who wants us to start selling mulch.Let me know how you do.
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we've thought about it as well. few people sell bulk mulch around here, and we could make some bucks at it at a cost to us of 7 bucks a yard delivered, prob could sell it for 25 or 40 installed. I'd like to do bark blowing though, that looks fun and profitable, but at 300 g's for the rexious, you gotta blow alot... lessee, 15000 yards times 25 per cubic yard... wow Dave g