Selling my Exmark...I think

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by myeager, Nov 3, 2005.

1. myeager

myeager LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner and last year I bought a 48" Exmark Metro. I have 2 acres in Gaithersburg, MD. For a number of reasons I'm looking to sell my Exmark. It's been through 2 mowing seasons doing my yeard alone, so it probably has about 80 hours on it. But, instead of selling it outright I thought I'd throw out a couple of options/questions to this group for advice.

One idea I had was instead of selling the Metro for cash, was to work a business arrangement with an LCO in the Gaithersburg, MD area where I provide the Metro for an agreed upon set of lawncare services. For example, 1 year of mowing, trimming, mulching. I haven't worked out the numbers to see what would be worth it, but I certainly see some risk because I'd be handing over my mower and trusting that an LCO would provide the services as promised...it may be more risk than is worth it. BUT...for the right situation, if it's maybe someone just starting out that could really use the mower but is short on cash/credit, they may be willing to work out a deal that would benefit us both. Anyone ever entered into a similar arrangement? If so how did it work out?

Also....assuming I just sell the mower, when is the best time of year to sell it to get the best price? ...and is ebay the best place to sell? ...or is there a better place?

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd either keep it to use myself or find out what would be a reasonable selling price would be and sell it.

Trade it for one year's LCO services -- no way. You have something more valuable in my opinion. Even if it were of equal value during the payback anything can happen.
    The mower might get stolen, destroyed, broken down or the LCO might go out of business, move or pass away.

Nosmo

3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well being the lco on the other end, I can say that it worked out great for me, although my barter system was a little different.

A friend of mine from church owns a flooring business. He put nice, expensive tile in our kitchen, and dining room and in exchange I took care of his 3 acre property this year, and it worked out great for both of us.

But I don't think that will work with just anybody, because like nosmo said, the homeowner (my friend and you) are just screwed if the lco(me) quits, moves, or just doesn't complete his end of the bargin.

Of course, I took extra good care of that property this year, making sure it always look imaculate, and now they will pay me for next years service, I just got a $3000 account out of the deal.