Selling New Clients?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wells, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Just had an idea:

I only service a certain area of town but due to the distrubution area of the phone books, newspapers, etc. I get dozens and dozens of calls for people outside of my route areas.

Instead of turning these people away or refering them to someone else why not do the bid, land the client and then sell the client to another LCO before you ever have to service the property. Sell the client to a LCO that services the area and is looking to grow. It should be a win-win situation for both companies. Your making money by strickly being a good salesman and the other company picks up a new client and saves marketing costs.

Anyone see a down side?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Why would someone accept another company from you?
    If someone came to give me a quote to redo my roof and after I said "go ahead and do the job" then the guy says " oh by the way I won't be doing it, Joe blow is going to " I would say, "SEEYA".

Just my opinion.

3. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I agree with you,sounds like that guy is high on something like (exaust fuems),If someone tried to pull that on me <i'd tell them to get screwed!! :waving:

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I see from your profile that you are 35::::

I actually thought from your first post that you were a hyper 16, trying to impress us with the fact that you are the one everyone call that needs their lawn mowed.

I have been around for a while - Do Not Try to convince me That You are Turning That Much Business away.

This is a bunch of &&&&&*&

5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you this polite to everyone here? You must be a blast at parties...

6. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Brett, I like your idea. When I advertised in the Tribune last year, I got calls from all over, and there were plenty that I turned down.
    Check your pm's.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Packer - You have been around long enough to know where I come from - Don't want to stur up trouble unless there is a very good reason. Have you had a gazillion people call you from a long distance away to mow their yards? Just because they wanted to?.///

8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

How is this idea any different than subing out your work?
    You give the bid but your not the one showing up to do the work.

Is the client choosing my service because of who we are or because of the pricing and my ability to close the deal. Why should the client care if the same work is getting done for the same price.

Banks do the same thing all the time. You have your initial mortage with one company but as early as two weeks later they can turn around and sell your loan to another mortage company. Should I get all bent out of shape because my mortage company decided to sell off my loan.

Looks like some of you are having a hard time thinking outside the box.
    All i'm trying to do is see why a person couldn't make a profit by providing a bid to a client that you would otherwise turn away.

Most of us spend decent money on advertising and trying to get the phone to ring and if we are turning people away when the phone rings we are throwing mowing right out the window. I'm just trying to capitolize on the calls outside my area.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Iv had that its called being talked into a yellow page ad that was in a 33 town book and a news paper ad in 8 home town papers rather then the 2 I wanted since the package was cheaper. Both times I turned away more jobs then I took I have since become much more strict on where I put my advertising dollars

10. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Do you not do mass advertising: Newspapers, Radio, Phone books?
    These items hit people farther away then I would ever consider servicing.
    When these calls come in each year and there ARE dozens of them (I Didn't say a gazillion or even a hundred) I SAID DOZENS AND DOZENS of them. (Last year was around 40 callers for the season) A dozen is twelve. so dozens and dozens should be above the 24 mark.... At 40+ calls i thought it was appropriate to say dozens and dozens.