1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

selling out questions

Discussion in 'Employment' started by STLTurfmanagement, Jun 29, 2014.

1. STLTurfmanagement

STLTurfmanagement LawnSite Member

I tried finding a thread about this but couldn't find one. Hopefully this is a good category for my question but I'm looking into selling my lawn care company. I love the industry, and it's been a fun ride but I built this business since I was a kid and I think I'm finally ready to get out and go back to school. Currently I have two trucks, two trailers, str, walk behinds, etc. and am looking for some advice from someone on who I can speak with, or what my company would be worth. Around here we typically hear that your accounts are worth about 4 mowings, depending on retention. Any suggestions would be helpful, and good luck to everyone this year

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Value on this type of business seems to be dependent of location. Generally there are two ways to value it. First is what are the assets (equipment) worth? If it is throwing off profit in excess of all expenses including your salary it could be worth some multiplier of that number. Typically 2 to 5 times the annual profit. Also it may depend on what somebody else is willing to pay for it.