Selling out whats the best way to transfer customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TaussigLawnCare, Jun 8, 2003.

1. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

just like the topic says I am selling my biz and none of my customers are under contract what is the best way to go about doing that so the buyer has some garentee.
    1. should I let him just continue to mow under my name for the rest of the summer then go from there

2. should I get everyone under contract then sell it

3. should I just say taussig lawn care has became under new ownership but your services will stay the same or even be improved and let them take over.

what do you all think any of these ideas work or would you suggest anything else.

When I bought out a biz last winter I got the equpment and a list of his customers and then it was my job to get them and it didn't work out very well.

any and all imput welcome thanks for your advice lawnsite kicks ***

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

go with him a couple of times . u can probably make the change with out many even payin any attention.if his work is up to par and he keeps a low profile.
    i know a fella did it that way ,an even the other lcos didnt realise he had sold out. until later.

3. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

nope won't work he is already a fairly large company here in town and he has his company name on all his trucks. He even uses lawnsite for that matter. I am very posative he is gonna be good or better then I am. I am personal friends with many of my customers so they will notice a diference. Any more help everyone PLEASE lol:confused:

4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say let him decide, you just set the price.

He may want you to sign a contract though.

5. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Derek,
    I came to terms with a buyer for my accounts (38) last fall, here is what I did. I took him out for one week while I did my route, gave him a copy of the services and charges that applied from Quickbooks. Sent a letter explaining that I was relocating and that ____________ landscape co. was taking over my business attached to my last invoice to every customer and he was in business.

He made the mistake of sending his own letter stating that he BOUGHT the business from me and showing every customer all the misc. charges for work that I charge them thru the years. This did not help his cause. He gave everyone a list of the prices I was charging.....for them now to go out and get bids against him. They also felt that they were SOLD and some did't care for that felt they owed him nothing. Last I heard was he lost about half the customers before the season was to start.

I had most of those customers for 9 or more years with no complaints. They were comfy with what they were used to me charging them... Mulch, edging , spring/ fall clean-up, weeding, irrigation maintenance, flowers and the weekly mowing. When the new owner showed them all of these figures on one page, it looks like a lot all at once and most said whoa, I'm going shopping.

I would suggest that you both don't tell the customers there is a sale going on. Just tell them you are friends and he is taking over while you go about your new future.

Chris