Selling out..

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Wayne242, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Wayne242

Wayne242 LawnSite Member

Thinking about selling out of the landscaping business, and going into the tree service. Any thoughts on this, and as any one else took this step?

2. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

Do you have any experience doing trees yet? I've been thinking about taking a tree class, but I'm afraid that once I got up in the tree I would start to panic like a small child... :cry:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need the experience, so it is best to start with what you have, rather than making a sudden jump you make a gradual change over. Basically you start out experimenting with it, then keep going more and more in that direction, but take your time doing it or you might end up messing yourself up.

Way the story goes, you want to cut down 1,000 smaller ones for starters.
    50-75 footers max, where the trunk is LESS than a foot in diameter, and there's not a whole lot of top to it, skinny stuff. Cut those down most any kind of way, but practice getting them to fall your way, and so on. I don't mean making them fall towards you, I mean make them fall the way you want them to fall. :laugh:

See what I'm saying is start small, work your way up, same as with the lawn care thing, the bonus this time around is you've got a customer base you can probably get a few jobs from to get started, and you're not brand new so you shouldn't get took advantage of as much either.

I hear say the money is good and you get a little more respect but you still get disrespected, just it's not as bad. That's probably one of my bigger pet peeves is that come hither boy crap.
    Anyhow...Good luck.

Oh, you might want to check out arboristsite.com

4. Wayne242

Wayne242 LawnSite Member

4 Years as a tree toper/remover, so yes i have the experience.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am doing something similar. Trying to sell off my lawn maint. business and will focus on my lawn equipment sales shop, as well as my stump grinding business. After 25 years of mowing, it is time to move on to other things.
    If my potential buyer, a former employee of mine, gets his business loan, it is a done deal. Good luck with your changeover. Hope it works out for you.

6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Probably should do some market research to assess the competition - obviously would require substantial capital expenditure - higher insurance costs ... why do you want to change ? -

7. Wayne242

Wayne242 LawnSite Member

Well theres to many landscaping business starting up around here, and most low ballers ( the summer guys that do it for fun). Then you get into summer, and have all the kids out doing stuff cheap( which is great good way for them to learn ). There is only 2 other tree service business here, so theres money to be made in it. I used to work for the well known of the 2 tree service's here, and know the pay is a lot better then landscaping.. I checked the insurance, and its much cheaper then the landscaping insurance i have on the landscaping. Also running just one 66' bucket with dump, and chipper is better then running 4 landscaping trucks i have (also 2 trailers). Then its cheaper just running one crew of 2-3 guys, and not 2 that I'm running with the landscaping.

Pretty much the landscaping business is not really paying like it used to. The only thing i can think of is there is to many landscaping 1 man crews running around low bidding jobs i guess.. When your paying 6 guys from $7-15 hour, it builds up on you. I had to cut one crew to part time, and hated to do it ( though it was better then letting them go ). I have a guy coming to look at buying my business next week, and he will be relocating it if he buys it. He also agreed if my guys wonted to relocate with the business then he would keep them. So thats a plus i guess..

8. roc65

roc65 LawnSite Member

Do you already have this "66 foot" bucket and chipper?

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say it's a smart move. You can gross as much in a day of residential tree trimming or removal as you can in a light week of mowing. It just makes sense, especially since you already have the knowledge and experience needed to get the work done. Good luck with the changeover.

10. Wayne242

Wayne242 LawnSite Member

I own 2 chippers already (used 1 in landscaping). The bc1800xl vermeer, and a 1999 1850 Bandit, which i cant seem to start after seating for about a year? I also have a stump grinder from vermeer that i got used last year for a big job i had. The stump grinder already payed for its self in a year.

As for the 66' bucket truck no, but looking at a 88 57' bucket with a forestry chip box, and hi ranger which is the only thing i will use( hi ranger that is). Its was priced to me for $6500 which seems really cheap, and i have already checked it out. I plan on working it for some time, and then upgrading to bigger bucket truck. So all in all the only thing i need to buy is the bucket, and some gear. After selling the landscaping business i will have plenty to buy a truck with. Might even looking around for a bigger bucket be for commenting to buy the 52'.

Ya i was talking to one of the tree service guys here, and he made over $8000 in a week, and did not work but 3 days that week ( 6 hours days ). So in less time, and less work i can make a better profit then landscaping. Its been fun with the landscaping, but bills come first, and i feel this is the right move.