1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

selling pine straw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass chaser, Dec 17, 2002.

1. grass chaser

grass chaser LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any one else does what I do when I do pine straw cleanups. I collect the pine straw then run it through my chipper shredder and use it in my customers gardens as mulch. I however charge the customers for the mulch and get paid for doing the cleanup job as well. This takes care of the old problem of disposal and I make triple the money. I charge for the cleanup then I charge for the mulch and I also charge for the application of the mulch. We have a lot of pine straw around our house and all these years I was disposing of it, untill I saw how much they were selling this pine straw mulch at the garden centers. Let me know what you all think of my winter time money maker.
  2. grass chaser

I was also wondering how many of you use pine straw as mulch, are there any draw backs that I should know of.
  3. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

I often perform the same service, however, I do not mulch the straw, the norm around here is to use it as it is, I have a few clients who have approved of the fact that I was a "reseller" of their yard waste.....they really did not care, for I would only charge them their regular fee for doing the property, then sell the pinestraw, and make back the difference in labor ten fold....I called a local nursery and asked if they could use a few truck loads of clean pine straw, and brought them a sample...they proceeded to give me addresses where I could drop it off, and I then gave them a bill for 50-70$ a load....needless to say it was worth it, and they in turn billed their customers even more. At times when I need the pinestraw for my own customers, and the supply is scarce, I call the same wholesaler that these garden centers use and found out quickly they are making almost a 200% profit by the bale on the stuff......The pinestraw has it's contraindications, such as water run-off can create small valleys which seem to grow underneath unoticed until the product breaks down, and it does need frequent replinishing, I advise to start with a fairly thick undercover of mulch (does not have to be eye pleasing), and top it off with 2-4 inches of straw.....It is a cheaper alternative to offer to your clients who are penny pinching...just my 2 cents..Eric
  4. grass chaser

The only reason I run it through the chipper is that it gives the mulch a better apearence when applied.