Selling some stuff, got a weird call, maybe a scam!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Jason Rose, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Got a call tonight on some things I'm trying to sell via the local newspaper classifieds. The call was apparently from a deaf person, using a 3rd party who was using a computer and reading me what was typed and typing what I was saying, you get the point. Iv'e never talked to a deaf person on the phone before, don't know if this was how it was done or not, seemed legit to me. Guy gave me his email address and just wanted me to send him the list of stuff I have left and prices. Ok, no problem. I sent the onfo and some time later I see I had a responce from the guy. Remember, this was a local ad only, however I'm sure it's online from our local paper's website.

This is what the responce was:
    I think i'm VERY glad I was wise enough to not go tapping my home address and phone number onto my email I sent. I think I was foolish enough to even give my name. I responded: Will not ship any item, will not be scammed, thanks.

What do you think of what I received?

2. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

Yeah it's legit...I've had to do it, a little different...time consuming, but legit

but I did not read the conversation either..

3. Jason Rose

You feel this is legit? Holy hell:dizzy: Why in the HELL would someone want to go to so much trouble to get something shipped??? Iv'e shipped things before, not that big of a deal, but they just send me money, I ship the item.

4. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

keep in mind my last comment...I was referring to the deaf person phone call...

5. Jason Rose

Ah i see. The conversation was VERY breif. After I was told what was going on by the 3rd party member on th phone he read to me what the guy had typed, asking if I still had the items I had listed for sale. I said "yes" long pause, he than asked if I could email the items I had listed to him. I said "yes" again. Long pause. He read to me the email address and that was about it. I was sitting here anyway so I compiled the information and sent the email.

What I received back was what I posted above.

My "guess" is that the deaf thing was a fancy scam... In order to give them an obvious way to not be able to talk to me in a normal fashion.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Whether it's a scam or not, it's way too much rigmarole.

It's likely some kind of identity theft nonsense, but even if it were not and even if it's legit, that guy should've been more careful so as to not rigmarole it in such a way that it smells fishy from a long ways away. It's almost in the tone of a nigerian 419 scam.

Because most anytime *I* want something in a case such as yours, I would ask you to ship the stuff COD (and give you MY address)...
    Which, nowadays some folks seem to have a problem doing that as well, but it's the easiest, the recipient has to pay for it at the time of receipt (+COD fee of like 5-10 bucks) and you include the price of the shipping also, then the Post Office sends you a check (or something like that).

As for the answer, lol, I still come off like that somedays too, but I've been working hard on completely ignoring that kind of stuff, just in case it is legit, you can pretend you simply never got his email... Either way, I think you did the right thing, there's no telling and that makes the risk too high for you.

7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

That's a scam. Probably some @sshole in Nigeria.

8. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

IT'S A SCAM!!! AN IDENTITY THEFT SCAM. The scam was when they asked for your info. You would never have gotten any payment in the mail. YOU SHOULD REPORT IT TO THE POLICE. And a pretty overt scam at that. A shipping company is going to pick up a striping kit? Please! It's the kind of thing you put in a box and MAIL out for an extra $25. Who thought this one up?!

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

SCAM!!!!! My buddy got ripped off, someone got his credit card number and spent a whole bunch of money at Western Union, UNTRACEABLE! The FBI unit that investigated the whole thing told him that because the transactions were done through Western Union, they couldn't do a thing. His credit card company ended up refunding his money once he could prove it was not him that did the spending. This guy owns a car dealership, and we're not talking about hundreds that were stolen!! Evidently these guys get someones card number, then do this whole 'Western Union the money' thing, they dont care if they ever get the merchandise you are selling, they just want the money you forward them. It would be interesting to e-mail the guy back, let him know you just went to the police b/c his e-mail made you a little wary... see if you ever hear from him again.

10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Definitely a scam.