Selling the 1 man show over large companies

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 5, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Was just curious how everyone is explaining to their customers how it is beneficial to have a "1 man show" take care of their lawn over chem lawn and the larger companies.

2. Jerry Andersen

Jerry Andersen LawnSite Member

It's the personal touch you give the lawn & customers

3. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

I have around 20 fert clients and usually obtain more by word of mouth. Advertise on truck and door hangers, but you always get the ones who only have faith in the large companies, just curious whats everyone says to sell their 1 man show.

4. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think it the the one man show there after. Just some one to kill the weeds in there yard that the last co didnt accomplish and to do what they paid you to do dont skip places because there not home
    Charles Cue

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

It's really easy, esp. with picky customers. Because they'll show you what they want and they're telling the guy who is going the be doing the work. The bigger companies have a sales rep., who tells the route guy, who changes 3 times a year and the customer has to keep "training" new techs.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

1) Timing of applications (you can do a better job since you don't have a 1,000 accts to take care of.
    2) Product Quality (this alone is enough IMO)
    3) Customer Service/Personal Touch
    4) If they have a problem....they can talk right to the person who did the app. -------Never will talk to a machine!
    5) Knowledge! Not sending out a guy just out of high school!
    6) A person who owns their own business cares a little more then a guy out just making $8-10/hour.

That is just a few of the things I push.

7. 1080p

1080p LawnSite Member

In defense of the "larger" companies, meaning 2 or more applicators, it comes down to what rceech said. It is possible to do all those things but it comes down to who is working for you. I have few very loyal, knowledgable people working for me. They provide the results, I'll provide the incentive. If and when I need to add another employee it will be one that has the same passion for the industry that i have. Hard to find but they're out there, just hope they haven't start their own business yet.

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

are you talking about 1 stop shop as in Mow and fert? or fert company with no employees?

9. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

I perform both fert. and mowing with one employee helping on mowing end.

10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

One man shows will always be able to offer more customized service. I am an LCO. I can promise no ruts in the lawn because I will use 4 mowing patterns. I will be on the property every week, scouting for small problems before they become big ones. When a customer talks to my company, it's always the same person... answering the phone, doing the apps, performing the maintenance.

For those reasons and many more, I have a competitive advantage. Just today, a new full apps/service account customer said to me... "Just be careful you don't let the dog out through the gate." I say, MrG, as we talked, you know I also am a dog owner. I know you have a dog.... he'll never get out because of me. I'd murder any idiot that let my dog out. (LOL, I almost DID once, too!)

The big LCO with his hispanic crews can't reassure a customer like that. I can tell my customers I grew up and live in this town... I have a vested interest in protecting the water supply, and to use pesticides responsibly. I am your neighbor. What can the Tru-Green rep say? Every time you get an app, a different guy will do it?

Always sell to your strengths and away from your weaknesses. Being solo gives me a lot of advantages.