Selling the business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawn, Jun 14, 2009.

1. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about retiring and selling my business, I have no idea how to start, does anybody knows about any reputable appraisal company that can give me an idea on how much to sell it for?

Any ideas will be very much appreciated. Thanks

2. lawn

Nobody has any advice on how to sell a Landscaping company?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if youve been doing this long enough to retire id think you'd have a handle on guessing its worth, dont know who to tell you to contact. stick your story on here and im sure some of us can give your our thoughts on its worth. include equipment, trucks, # of accounts, avg prices, yearly gross figures, etc

4. tradeyouraccounts

tradeyouraccounts Banned

In many service industries the purchase price of the accounts is a multiple of the monthly gross service income. The multiple can be any where from 1 to 12x the monthly gross service income. Both parties negotiate and agree on the multiple used. The youÂ’d need to figure out if there is any equipment, tools, and vehicles to be included.
    Check out http://www.tradeyouraccounts.com for Buyers sellers and traders of service route accounts.

5. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Start with your accountant and ask for a referral on someone who specializes in business valuation.

6. lawn

Thanks I am also adding up how much i paid for the trucks, equipment, etc that will give me an idea of how much to ask for.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Its very discouraging trying to sell a landscape business. Every one wants everything for nothing. I had my business for sale for about 4 years. I ended up downsizing. Gave my buddy 15 accounts and sold my best 25 customers for 1 mowing. I just downsized again and gave another friend 12 accounts. I sold off the excess equipment for next to nothing the first goround just to get it out of the way.

8. lawn

there must be a website or another way to sell the business. I just don't know where is the best place to post an add. I tried CL got lots of responses but nobody has the $ to buy it.

9. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

How long have you been in business?
    How many accounts do you have?
    How long have you had your average account?
    What are your average annual revenues?
    Tell us about your equipment.
    What is your role in the business (is it management or owner dependant)?
    How much do you make (total benefit to owner)?

Tell us what your working with and you might get some good advice.

10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

www.bizbuysell.com

Look around the site it's interesting. My buddy sold his business in Rockland, MA "United Landscaping" He did very well. They were billing about 2 mill at the time he sold. Most real valuations are based on "owner benefit" and I believe it is 1.5 to 3.5 owner anual benefit.