Selling trees to a paper mill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

The thread about working in a paper mill reminded me of a conversation I had with a local lawn guy this summer. He said if you have a tree removal job that if you cut down trees in 5 ft lengths that you could sell the wood to paper mills. Any truth to this? How much can you get? Is it based on weight? Thanks for any help.

2. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

different mills require different trees but lots of them. Charmin(P&G) takes hybird red pine. The contract between the logger and the mill is based on board ft. the contract between me and the logger is based on per tree. I get .28 per tree at harvest. It cost .08 per tree to plant and on average 7 to 9 years to grow a marketable tree. I plant 30,000 trees per year on 2200 acres. You can't get rich growing pulp wood but it does pay your taxes for a couple of days planting. The logging company does the hard part. Note, not all logging companies leave your property in a useable condition. After 10 times through the wet spot with a fully loaded skidder, you have four ft deep ruts. A responsible logger regrades. Selective cutting pays more than clear cuts but you end up with nothing but trash everywhere.

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Barkleymut was asking about maybe a "couple" of trees, maybe hoping to at least pay for gas money to the mill. 30,000 trees is a lot of trees!!!

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah ED, my Ram 1500 may have a little trouble pulling around a load like that!