"semi" commercial - Deere and Simplicity

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by foyman, Feb 12, 2008.

1. foyman

foyman LawnSite Member

:drinkup: Does anyone have any experience with the Deere z445 and/or the Simplicity champion? I know these aren't commercial units but they seem to have some good stuff for under $5K. I'm thinking they might be appropriate for 4 to 5 acres per week mowing of 3 properties. I don't plan to do any more.

2. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

is that 3 properties that are 4-5 acres each, or 3 properties at are 4-5 acres total?

3. foyman

foyman LawnSite Member

3 properties, total 4-5 acres:walking:

4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

For $5k, you can get a really good 48 or 52in WB with a velke that will do a even better job, and you will have dealer support. I wouldnt invest that amount of money on a residential mower.

5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have the simplicity champion which i bought from a dealer so i have "dealer support". anyway, its a great cutting machine. has the ferris 4 wheel suspension, unlike alot of ztrs. i've only been using it on my own yard because i chose to go to smaller accounts and therefore dont need it anymore. i mow around 1.5 acres and its a good mower for the money.

6. brentcausey

brentcausey LawnSite Member

I have the JD ZTR 445 and love it. I do all residential and a few commercial "bigger" properties and it's never let me down. My dad runs Exmark and Toro ZTR commercial mowers and I would say that my JD 445 cuts as good, if not better, than his 48 inch toro. I think the main difference is deck strength and life of the mower. I would recommend getting the mulch kit - it made a huge difference for me. For about 15 residential yards and 3 large commercial properties it does just fine for me. This is just a side job for me and I don't do any extremely nice stuff - lots of college kids and rent houses so take that into consideration.

7. brentcausey

brentcausey LawnSite Member

Also - don't buy the mower at Lowe's. The mowers that lowe's sells don't have the kohler engines or the same warranty. I got mine at a John Deere dealership and for like $300 extra they will pick up my mower from my house (45 minutes away) and do regular servicing (oil, grease, etc.) for 3 years.

8. foyman

foyman LawnSite Member

I'm fortunate to have a deere dealer 40 minutes and a simplicity dealer 5 minutes away. I've dealt with both in the past with positve results.