1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Semi-final Draft for Ad

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

In response to the high cost of chemical lawn treatments now at 6-8 Apps per season, and the idea of saving the planet and supportting the local economy, I thought I would try this ad in the local paper throughout the summer.

***Organicplus Lawn Care. Have healthy, lush green turf - Naturally - $For Le$$. Help Protect Wildlife, lakes and streams, while supporting Wisconsin's economy. $7 Consultation fee. Refundable.***

I know its been said that, here in the Midwest we don't go along with all this clean air and water stuff. Backlash against the DNR for its nonsense policies and heavyhanded tactics is mostly to blame for the 'attitude'.

Still it has become fashionable to be Eco-Aware. As long as you have the best lawn in the hood. Evidently, I can do that. :)
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Do people still read newspapers in Wisconsin? I would price radio time @ a classic hit or "progressive" station to target Yuppies/old Hippies.
  3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

this is my ad going out next month. Two page spread in 7 magazines. Magazines go to a few thousand homes and businesses each... its not cheap but it's effective.

Attached Files:

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Ax, to me smaller stabs at the market with a broader coverage is what has worked, small papers and gazettes, nickle mags, and road side signs (the 200 for 300$ type).
  5. DeepGreenLawn

These magazines are all local community magazines. Nothing big, they go to certain cities for the most part with a home value on avg above $200k. So it is pretty well confined to the people I want to advertise to. They go to the persons house and the magazine is based completely on their community so they are very likely to read it. The magazines also go to local businesses as well, restaraunts, hair salons, etc etc where people can pick them up and read them. I have based my company off these... had 3 going last year, interested to see what they do this year.

You may also notice the pictures of my wife and I and our new daughter, make it personal, a lot of people don't like the large, impersonable companies. They want someone they can relate to. Put a face to your company. Let them see just enough of you that they know your real. I can't tell you how man people have said they called me, or went with me, because of the picture and story that went with it. I try to build a sort of relationship with my customers and I will make sure my employees do as well as they interact with them. Build a relationship, nothing big, just remember their name or a something that may stand out like their dog, and that will keep you in tight for the long term. They will be less likely to leave you.
  6. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Nice ad! I like the personal side of it too.
    Do you get a lot of response to it?
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious about the $7 consult fee. At my rates, that about covers the cost of picking up the phone. :laugh:

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

very nice add

i like smalls idea also
  9. DeepGreenLawn

It has been fun the past year... well, not really fun... but I had the same ad run in three magazines all year long. They go out once a month. One month, one or two magazines would do great and the other would give only a few calls. Then next month they would change around and the next it would change again. We can't figure out the pattern, it is as random as it gets. Not all magazines are the same ofcourse, so I can only figure different front covers catch peoples eyes than others which then leads them to my ad.

When I do get calls though I get a lot of them.... at least one magazine a month does really well a lot of times two. Last year in the spring I could barely keep up with the call volume. Then all through summer I was still giving estimates. This year we are prepared with 3 sales reps, and a new phone system that will spread the calls out to three different lines as of right now. I have my new office associate ready to go just about. She will be handling my scheduling and routes as well as answering the phones.

This new phone system is pretty cool too... you call and it walks the customer through starting with them stating their name. Then it will simultaneously call 3 different lines at once. You answer and it states who is calling and asks if you want to answer the call or send it to voicemail without talking to the customer. If you don't want to talk to the customer or can't then it will send them to the voice mail. When they are done leaving a voice mail it is then emailed to me as well as a voice copy so we have better tracking of the call. It is new, and we haven't been able to put it to the test yet but others with similar programs say they love it.

I am prepared this year. We have gone from 3 magazines to 7 and are anticipating complete madness. I think we are prepared though...

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

wow thats a setup