semi funny story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Aug 11, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

we were mowing our last customer of the days yard today, about 20 minutes from completion. all of a sudden i see my buddy running around with just his boxers on. apparenty he ran across a yellowjackets nest and stirred them up. i saw his shirt lying on the ground covered in bees, his pants and shoes were beside the truck, covered in bees. the d.a. i am, i decide to retrieve his pants. they start chasing us up the driveway about 100 yards. i got hit 2 times and he got atleast a dozen stings. we finally got back to the truck and took off. we went and bought 2 cans of bee spray and a can of great stuff can foam. we went back and as i was filling the hole with the great stuff he had a can in each hand spraying any that got out. as we were leaving he said, "they won the battle but we won the war" :laugh: anyone else with crazy misadventures with yellowjackets or any other bees?

randy

2. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

A nest got me last year. I (we) took a small amount of gas and lit the nest on fire.

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing a common area in a housing complex and as I was blowing off the sidewalk, I saw a bee swirling around me, I pointed the blower at it and off it went, as I turned to continue on walking down the sidewalk, the next thing I knew, there were about 15 or 20 bees swarming around me, I turned and ran. As I let off the trigger of the blower, they seemed to disappear. I called the HOA and let them know of the problem and they called an exterminator. The next week, when I arrived, I found that there was a colony af probably 200 - 400 bees with a HUGE honeycomb in the sprinkler valve box. I lucked out.... no stings, (and I wasn't reduced to runing around in my boxers thank God!) and they were "africanized" honey bees.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

God in his eternal wisdom did may wonderful things...I just don't know what he was thinking in terms of yellowjackets.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

wildwest, africanized bees are the worst type out there, you got pretty lucky!

my worst bee story didn't happen at work, dad and i were playing frisbee and i dove into the neighbors yard to catch it, apparently there was a network of underground nests and a nest in a wooden planter, they got pizzed off big time and within about two seconds of hitting the ground, i was attacked. Probaly a total of 15 stings.