Semi-Pro Job

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jeffinsgf, Jul 26, 2007.

1. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Well, my UPS driver, who is also a good friend, has been admiring my irrigation system since I put it in a couple of years ago. He asked for my help in doing his.

I went over to his house this evening. Suburban subdivision of 30 year old 2,000 to 3,000 sq ft. houses. Water meter is located very accessible in the front yard. I took my pressure gauge, and at the hose bib on the house closest to the meter, it measured 60 psi. That sounded good. Then we did a bucket test for flow. I got five gallon in 50 seconds - 6 gpm -- none too impressive. The run from the meter to the house is about 50 feet and I didn't go into the crawl space to see how convoluted the run to the hose bib was.

My question is, should I wait to lay out the zones until I make my POC connection and do a flow test there, or should I assume that the 6 gpm is what I have to work with?

No basement, so like most of the yards in the neighborhood, I will have a double ball check valve and POC right after the meter.

2. I would do a flow test again after POC at the DCA. I've never been a fan of these bucket tests at the house faucet. Too much can happen by then. If he is definitely going to install a system then it won't hurt to wait on the layout and zoning until after the connection and another test.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I concur... It could be a big difference which would make a tremendous impact on the overall system. You could actually save him time and money.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't hurt to establish your plant zones so you can at least know the absolute minimum number of zones you will need.

5. jeffinsgf

Thanks, guys. I had arrived at the same decision, but wanted confirmation. It won't change the layout much, but it could be the difference between 7 zones and 4, which could be a lot of pipe, 3 valves, another controller module, etc. etc. When I did the "bucket test" on my system, I had a standpipe literally on top of my well head. That inspired a great deal of confidence and I assumed that was my maximum. Here I am tempted to assume that 6 will be my bare bones minimum -- but won't know for sure until I put in the POC.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I will be the first to say THANKS for asking these questions ahead of time, rather than just installing it and then asking us how to fix the problems. I can not tell you how many times per week we are trying to fix systems not installed properly - both on LawnSite and working in the field. Zones designed at 15 GPM when 8-10 is available, heads too far apart, wrong backflow preventer, too small of pipe, wrong heads for the area.... you name it. So Thanks again :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Hank & I have a Data Industrial flow sensor & battery-operated flow meter
    that we install downstream of the DCVA, the quick couple valve takes a psi
    gauge so we can log static & operating. It was kind of pricey but has paid for
    itself many times.

8. jeffinsgf

I am doing my best to be an irrigator and not an irri.....oh, you know.

9. jeffinsgf

Well, I got the POC and DCVA installed yesterday, and I have about 20gpm and 60psi, so, I'm golden. It'll be 4 zones -- 5 PGP's on one, 6 MP-30's on two, 6 MP-30's and 2 MP-20's on three, and 50 or 60 feet of drip tape on four. All the utilities were in the back yard, so the only thing for me to hit with the trencher is rocks and roots.

10. Good Deal Heckuva a lot better than the results of your bucket test.