Sending Bills Through E-Mail

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Hokie12, May 20, 2004.

1. Hokie12

Hokie12 LawnSite Member

Do you think it would be a wise decision to implement sending monthly bills through e-mail instead of regular mail?

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

No. I don't see that as a wise idea. I think it would probably result in being paid slower, overall. Some people use email regularly and might send off a check right away. But I think most people would just let it sit in their inbox thinking they'd get to it later, and then it would just sit and sit. Eventually, a lot of them would forget it was there.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use it to a great extent and I have had no problems with it. The turnaround is actually quicker with Email. As an example I have one customer who gets billed weekly with an invoice. Rather than having to make the bill, print it out, fold it up, stuff it in an envelope, put a stamp on it, take it to the post office, wait 2 days for them to deliver it, have her make out a check, mail it and wait 2 more days for a total turnaround of 5 days. Instead I make out the bill, click "send invoice" and she gets it immediately. Total turnaround is 3 days and sometimes 2. It's just a lot quicker, cheaper and easier for me.

4. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

We implemented the e-mail system this year and have good results with it. Good turnaround time on payments and much less paper pushing, pringting, print cartridges, envelolpes, stamps, etc., etc., etc. Have about 85% of clients on this system. Wish they all were.

5. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Definately a bad idea. I have E-mail that remind me of important school related things such as assignments and meetings and I forget about it almost always and put it off unless I print it out. It comes down to how responcible the individual is. I would keep sending out hard copies through the E-mail!

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using the email feature of my accounting program for several years now with great results. I always send out my statements on the 28th of every month. I've got a couple of customers that get emailed on the 28th and I receive their check on the 29th. Can't beat that!

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Works great for me, clients that are email savvy and pay over the internet especially really appreciate it and payment is very fast.

But those that only check email occasionly, and prefer to send checks, I mail out, some prefer internet dealing, some clients prefer paper....

But I like email.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Hokie12,

We have offered this service for some time now and our clients have found it to be another useful tool.

You can read more about our Lawnmail service here.

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I manage some properties for homeowners who live out of state. I send monthly bills via e-mail. It works out well. They also use e-mail to check up or request certain work to be done.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I send my bills through email with online invoicing with quickbooks