sending out new contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 22, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

spent some time today typing up new contracts, modifying the wording, etc. since 1 st payments are due before march 1st, ill be sending them out shortly. just a question: before going through the trouble of all the work involved in getting the new contracts out, do u first contact the customers to see if they will be using u again? how do u contact them? phone, mail, email?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Mail first, reminding them about the contracts and then after a while, like 10 days a follow up phone call to ask them whether they have any questions or comments regarding the contracts.

People, including myself, love paperwork with the information on it, not someone talking about it over the phone.

3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

The only problem with calling them first and asking if they will be using you again is that it might make them think about quitting, instead of just automatically renewing when they receive the contract renewal.

If you just send them a renewal contract and cover letter, they might not consider quitting or switching to someone else.

I believe I would send them out with a stamped return envelope (make it easy for them to send it back to you) and then follow after a certain time with ones that you haven't received back.

A phone call something like "Haven't received your contract back yet, just following up so that I can make sure and reserve time for you in my schedule."

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

usually we phone first, and fill out the details while talking. we then mail the filled in contract for their signature. or drop by.

gonna try something different this yr. if someone has been with us a while, and never had payment probs, contract is up to them. they don't want it, fine by us. they want it, ok too.

chance we get burned? i guess.

but the running around is too much hassle. they must be on GOOD terms with us before we offer this.

new customers, must be on contract.

any one forgo contracts for good customers?

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I decided that this year (like lst year ) I would visit each customer personaly and present them with the agreement. That way we can iron out any specifics and concerns. I can maybe sell them on aeriation or dethatching if they need it. I know a few will want to talk about overseeding areas that didn't make it through last summer. I hope to get all this workd out in one visit. If they want to sign right then Ok if they want ot think about it that's OK too. Last year I had several that would Pre-Pay for the whole seasons fert program then. (I gave them 5% discount)
    this sure helped the cash flow at the start of the season.
    I know this wouldn't work for larger companies but I figgure as long as I can handle getting to every body , They will like the personal touch.
    this year I will only have to talk to about 40 people about renewing. I hope to add about that many more new. we'll see

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Contracts that are the same year after year is a no-brainer to me...I just mail them out with a SASE.

First timers from last year will get a phone call first just to make sure there aren't any changes they want.

7. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Put in the "maintenance agreement" that it automatically renews unless notified within 30 days of the end of the agreement, unless they want to upgrade their service of course. :cool:

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with TC that it should be stipulated in their agreements that if your offices aren’t notified in 30 days after invoices have been postmarked of intent to cancel services -- their contracts shall be considered an automatic renewal.

I would also send out a renewal form a few days later with a SASE enclosed and briefly mentioning your gratitude for their patronage and you hope to continue the working partnership next season as well. Many will have a sentence or two in there about signing up for next season at this time avoids any price increases which may be imposed during the spring for new clients, and you look forward to hearing from them soon.

Then its simply a matter of sending out a letter in Feb sending them greetings of the New year and hoping their holiday Season went well etc etc etc. Show enthusiasm about services hopefully coming underway soon etc etc etc. I would mention any new services you plan to offer for the upcoming year or employees coming aboard this spring. If they wish to add any additional services please contact you, and as always thank them for their continued patronage and how much you enjoy your working partnership with them.

Also many of the guys I have spoken with are asking clients for an e-mail addy to send out electronic invoices this season to cut back on office costs (just some food for thought).

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Crew hasa great point here. Lawn Monkey (& probably others) have an add-on to their program to facilitate this.

Bob

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

turfdude, i got your private message, but unfortunately was unable to reply to it. u can contact me at this same screename, im on aol. thanx