Sending out renewal letters-----AGAIN

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redbuckcavs, Mar 12, 2008.

1. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

In late Jan. I sent out my renewal letters to my existing customers with a prepaid dicount option. Out of 750 customers I received 600 back ( alot of prepays, few cancellations) however I still have not heard back from 150 customers.

I'm sending out another letter in hopes of the spring weather will get the rest to respond. I dont want to come across to my customers as an *%*, but I NEED AN ANSWER.

Should I say ** "the service continues fromm season to season" or "If we do not hear back from you we will assume you wish to receive the same service"

In a month from now I know someone who has not responded will call and say "why havent you treated my lawn yet":hammerhead: And I Would love to respond " I tried twice to reach you, now your rate is going up 20% for a special service call" ---- I wont do this in fear of losing the customer:cry:

2. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I'm in the same boat! Spent all day last week calling customers who have not confirmed. 70 calls ~15 calls back. I'm sure the rest will call in late April saying "why havn't you been out?":hammerhead:

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Exact same thing happens with us every year. Those customers who do not respond to the 2nd mailing will need a phone call. I don't know about you, but I HATE making phone calls.

4. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I'm hoping that with the temps in the low 50s and Spring only a week away some of these customers will respond. If not I will call them. I thought about scaring them with the high price of fuel " we need to establish a route asap"

Knowing my luck they will respond saying " with the high price of fuel--we cant afford your service this year"

5. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

You got 600 out of 750? We're lucky to get half back each year. My letters say clearly that if we don't hear otherwise, we'll be out again as usual. We get a few complaints but way less than those who would call wanting to know where we are. That said, we do end up calling on big properties and those we think might not want to renew. The high cost of fert this year definitely makes you stop and think about those yards though since we'd hate to have to eat a service on anything except a very small yard.

6. ETM

ETM LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

hey if they don't cancel we show up in our lawn main. and weed control. I've been cutting some for 5 years straight. No news is good news at least to me.Keep going you won't regret it.If they didn't want your service they would have let you know. Good luck this year.

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

We autorenew, our spring letter does not require them to send anything back, it simply states when we will begin services again, for mowing and Fert and Squirt.

8. New Green

New Green LawnSite Member

Our state has laws about auto-renewing. I got frustrated about it first. But previously, we had auto renewed people that were no longer living there. Ouch!, there could have been an anti-pesticide new homeowner there. That can be a costly lawsuit. I will take a handful of assumed cancels (after exhausting several phone calls) rather than exposing myself to a potential liability. We are in a litigious world and there are people that are against pesticides. BE CAREFUL!

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Amen brother thats what i say. Hey how far from Portland are you.

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

That is a good point. I haven't had it happen yet, I have had a couple of people move, but they called to tell me once the auto-renew letter was forwarded to them. I'm sure not everyone extends that courtesy.