1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Senior Citizen Discount

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MitchDaniel, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MitchDaniel

MitchDaniel LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,

I've been in the lawn care business for about 4 years now, but I have a marketing question. I am considering placing a 2x4" ad in our local paper. Several other LCOs have ads in the paper, but I want to set myself apart from them. I've considered putting "10% Senior Citizen Discount" in my ad. Do you all think it would work? I definitely don't mind giving them a discount, and I thought it might be a good idea because none of the other guys have this in their ad. Thanks!

Mitch Daniel
    Mitch's Mowing Service

2. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, it sounds like a scam to me..... who says you aren't upping it 20% then knocking 10% for the older crowd who may be a 'little' naive and be pushovers.... whatever works for you though!! I would rather just treat everyone the same.. :confused:

3. abclawncare

abclawncare LawnSite Member

i think you will be catering to the wrong people, the people that will take you up on the offer are just trying to find the lowest $/cut. if you want to give a discount make sure it benifits you as a company like offering sign up discount. i think the customers that you want are one who will pay a resonable rate and stick with you because they know you do good work not because your the cheapest price.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would not give anything off for seniors ......they require more time and they are always home to watch.

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I would not offer them a discount. I would charge them 15-20% extra than my normal price and add in my fuel surcharge on top of that. That should get them calling. :laugh:
    No, but really people may view this matter differently. I personally do not want to attract them. Sure I provide service for a few of them. Some are the best customers ever. But a lot of them are very irritating and hard to deal with. The general attitude is that things should be done how they were in the 1940's and for the same price you could have it done for in the 40's. No discounts.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have been doing it for years....

It's NOT if it works or not it's the right thing to do.

HOWEVER, If you pull up to a multi Million dollar house that's where things get sticky

7. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

I'm part time but other than 1 commercial account, all of my customers are seniors. And I like your idea. Its like having 12 grandmas!!!

8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Most seniors have more money than you think. Don't let them fool you. I would not mind offering discounts, but as much as fuel and other expenses are now, I am going up in prices. I don't want to give the elders a hard time, but times are tough on everyone.

If I am going to help someone out, it will be a situation like a guy gets shipped off to fight this crazy war in Iraq and the wife and children are left without their husband and father. They can really use a discount or maybe even some work at no charge.

9. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

DO NOT ADVERTISE TO OLD PEOPLE!!! Don't get me wrong I started off with about 5 old ladies but they're the ones I want to get rid of!!! Other then the ones that are related or know personally I don't want anymore, and the ones who are going to want the discount are definitly not the old people who take summers in Cape Cod and will want REAL landscaping. They are always home and want it done to perfection for a fraction of the cost and when you do charge them you just feel guilty. Head out to the burbs and advertise to the baby boomers. Just my 2.

10. MitchDaniel

MitchDaniel LawnSite Member

Thanks guys,

That's kinda what I thought too, but I figured I'd ask before I made a mistake. I'm just having a hard time wording my ad so it will "jump out" at the readers instead of being just another ad to skim over. I guess many potential customers will call several different LCOs to get estimates before they make a decision anyway, so I just need to bid smart i guess!