Senior Citizen Discount??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, May 5, 2008.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Who here offers a Senior Citizen Discount?? Is it just me or does everyone else think this is a bogus way to getting a cheaper price? I've been asked maybe 3 times so far if i offer a senior citizen discount. Do i get a raise for being a young guy? Do i get everything else cheaper because i'm younger? I never understood why people ask. Anyone here do it? and why?
  2. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I'd never make any money if I offered a senior citizens discount. Standing there and talking about the weather for 20 minutes is worth the extra money to them. Honestly, I've never had one ask for a discount.
  3. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

When I first got into this business I felt I would target seniors because they need the service. However, after working for 4 seniors on my route, I wish I only had young to middle aged professionals.

I have a soft spot for the seniors. I end up doing way more for less. I spend time talking to them when I should be working. Costs are getting out of control. Thier home is the last piece of dignity they try to hold onto. I have 4 widows in thier 80's and real nice ladies. I picture what my wife would be like if I left her behind to take care of the home.

Business should be business I understand. But if I fail at this part of the business the seniors will be my downfall. I look out for them and hope someone will do the same in 20 years for me. I doubt it but I'm doing my part while I can. 1 day out of the week I think I can help someone out that appreciates it.

On the other hand, any senior that's a pain in the ass....charge double! There are those also out there.
  4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

No, I don't. It's just a way for them to get more for less. I won't work for people like that anymore if they are capable of doing it themselves.
  5. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

The way I see it they should be charged more. They can be such a pain in the rear!
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Senior discounts were just a way for breakfast and lunch places to get the seniors to their restaurants. It's easy to discount a coffee that is $1.50.

I give everyone my best price. I cant do it for much lower than what I quoted. I've always told seniors "No. I don't give senior discounts because I try to give the lowest price I can do the work for." I make a profit on every lawn. I cant work for just cost and a paycheck. Always puts a weird feeling in my stomach when they ask. It's usually the wife who asks. Right after the old man perks up like a dog who just got a sniff of bacon. Discount?, Discount?, Do I get a discount? I bet if you do find it in your heart to give a senior citizens discount they go inside and high five each other and do a belly bump.

Try going to your dealers and tell them that 30% of your customers are senior citizens who get the senior discount. So you think you should get 30% of his senior discount so you can pass it along to the consumer. Maybe I'll try that one in the morning with the gas station.
  7. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i have always advertised one..... i just bump the price up 5 or 10 bucks from what i want to cut it for and then take it off for their "senior discount"....:laugh:
  8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How do you discount a service that dosen't have a set price? Unless you have a set rate per so many Sq Ft, you can quote whatever price you want anyway.

I tell my seniors that ask for discounts... "I like to give everyone my best price, because in this industry, where there are no set prices, its easy for someone to raise a price and then offer you a discount. I do not want people to get the idea that I am doing this."

The response is always positive, most of them have never thought of the aspect of discounting a price that has not yet been quoted.
  9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

the only discount i give the seniors is a 5% if they prepay each month. it seems as if seniors always wanna pay per cut and they always wanna talk to you for 15 minutes each cut. the way i see it, those couple of dollars i'm knocking off their bill is saving me an hour a month.
  10. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Couldnt be more true.

If given the choice of saving $5 but never talking to you or

Getting it cut at regular price but you spending 5 minutes talking with them they hands down appreciate conversation more, especially if widowed.

Not to mention some seniors spend their whole day alone inside and your the only person who visits them all week.