Senior Discounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 15, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

How many people actually give senior discounts and how much?

I received a phone call today for a fall clean up and she was asking whether I offered senior discounts because she was on a limited income, $600 a month, and I told her that I did not. She basically told me to forget it then.

The only discounts that I offer up front are flat rate plan discounts and pre-pay discounts.

There are a few reasons I do not give senior discounts
    1. About 75% of my customers are seniors. I would lose a lot of money if I was to give them discounts

2. I don't know who is telling the truth about the limited income and who is pulling my chain.

3. I am already providing a great services at a reasonable rate

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No discounts given here. First of all, we deal with almost all elderly so we would have to discount practically everyone. Secondly, I don't know about anyone else and how their mind works, but when I hear the word discount... I almost always think there is a catch. Like if someone says discount, I think, "oh they just raised their price 10% to cover the discount."
    Surprisingly with all the elderly we service, we never get asked if we offer senior discounts, guess we are lucky at least with that.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I usually get about a half dozen a year that ask for discounts. And the weird thing is it always occurs for spring and/or fall clean ups

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

No senior discount here. Don't really want any more elderly customers. LOL.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Really? Elderly folks are the BEST payers around, bar none. They will get their monthly invoice in the mail, and the next day they have put the check in the mail. If you can sell the elderly on the price you want, it's all coasting from there. The only downfall with the older generation is, we tend to be constantly doing battle with ourselves to maintain or increase our customer base due to the sad fact that they pass on.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Not here,now if there were in the military sure i would give them a deal.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, have had some that I would almost bet made the postman wait while they made out the check and addressed envelope :)

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A few days ago a guy on the site said he was going to spread out payments on leaf cleanup for fixed income people, that seemed reasonable.

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I would to if my experience with military personnel were positive so far it has not been. Given the opportunity I decline to take care of off base personnel housing. I will however, continue to take care of the two bases I have under contract

10. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you most of the time. The elderly customers that I do have usually pay propmtly. The probelm is, in my expirience, 9 out of 10 PITAs are elderly, and seem to be the ones that complain about things beyond my controll.