senior discounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigmudder77, Mar 19, 2007.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

how would you go about giving them? i want to know what other people offer to them before i go and put a bid on a lawn for an older couple there 60-80 not to sure just in that age i would guess

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Dont give them :)

3. bigmudder77

why not every one else around here is and i need the lawns and if i am over pricing them more than i am now i wont get the lawn. i was thinking like 10% off or some thing like that. is that right or do you work for practly free?

4. Sandgropher

Nobody gives Seniors discounts , if its a $30 lawn you say $35 and then you say "but with my seniors discount i can do it for $30" :usflag:

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I discourage senior citizen discounts. The most troublesome are the 35-40 year old customers, with family, a couple of children, three cars, large house, all the electronic toys. These are the ones asking for a discount from their senior citizen grass cutter. Don't these folks realize that just because the one cutting their grass is a senior citizen, does not mean that I need money to cover expenses on equipment maintenance, fuel for my truck and mowers, taxes to be paid, and equipment to be replaced. Expecting a senior citizen discount just because the one cutting the grass has lived longer is not reasonable. Down with discounts for senior citizens!

6. bigmudder77

i get it. just like when i run my ad in the paper i say "with one free mowing what do you have to lose" but really they only get the free mowing if they pay in full for the whole year.

7. Sandgropher

Well to tell the truth theres mixed opinions about Senior Discounts, my take is they could be millonares for all i know, so if they ring up i say" yes i do Senior Discounts" then add a bit to the quote, then take it away lol they think they are getting a discount and you are getting the right money for the job, every ones happy :)

8. bigmudder77

ya but when you get a guy that calls and wants some one to mow his 2 acre lawn. that he said took the last guy about 3 hours and there was 2 of them. (it was about 1-2 hours just to trim his long paved drive way and side walks) and he is old but not old enough. he wanted me to mow it for $20 a week and i said going rate is probaly about $150-$200 but ill do it for $175 hes like i have never had any one tell me over $100 and i looked at him and said was it a company or was it kids and he said it was kids and i told him if he wanted to pay that go for it but if he wanted it too look nice its gonna cost him and i gave him the numbers of other lawn care places around me and said call them up and tell me what they tell you

9. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never been one to offer discounts ,however this year when I had some new biz cards made the printer suggested adding "senior discounts". He said another one of his customers added that and really improved his sales. So I thought I'd give it a try. Of course in reality there are no discounts are there. It could be a good sales tool though, we"ll see. If you think about it's kind of like the word "sale" that every store in the world uses. Of course there is a "sale" that's what you do ,but it's just human nature to be drawn to a store that has the word "sale" in their ads.

10. Sandgropher

He wanted you to mow it for $20 a week, now thats a big Seniors Discount :laugh: