sensitive hand controls on new hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlomb72, Nov 11, 2002.

1. dlomb72

dlomb72 LawnSite Member

I have recently purchased a 48" Lesco Hydro. I have had a hard time adjusting to the hand controls being as sensitive as they are. It is difficult to manuever the machine in a non-jerky fashion. Is there an adjustment on how sensitive these controls react or is it a "one setting" type deal.

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought my first walkbehind this year and thought they were very sensitive but soon found out it was just me and now I'm used to them. I don't know how long you've been using walkbehinds or if this is your first, but maybe you need to get used to it or the fact that it is something new and different. Dunno!:)

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The first Walkbehinds I ever ran were hydro(snapper loop grip)
    Then I Had a lesco hydro 52"when I was going part time andthough thought it handled well. Then I went to running a lesco gear drive 36" as my main mower (smaller yards) and noticed the controls needed alot more force. Well the hydro sat while I was tring to sell it. When I got it going one day do show someone , it was Like I had never driven a mower before. The controls felt soooo touchy it took a bit to even drive straight.
    The controls on a hydro just don't take much force to use. Very little preasure on the grip is neded for small adjustments. go slow, use a light touch, and practice. you'll get the hang of it.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

There should be some instructions and pictures in your mowers owners manual that will show you exactly how to do this.

I would wait a while though. You will get used to it and learn how to "feather" the controls with experience, the problem will probably work itself out.

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

You'll get the feel of it, and after a while they will loosen up a bit.