sensitive question re:$$

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sillyme, Jun 20, 2006.

1. sillyme

sillyme LawnSite Member

Hi - I know this is a touchy subject but I want to know if I'm being unreasonable. I had some landscape maintenance quoted over the phone and didn't get anything in writing. I know bad idea - anyway had 16yd mulch layed, shrubs trimmed, bushes trimmed, light weeding, 95ft of metal edging put in around existing beds. This was front of house and 2 sides. Also, 2 bushes planted - 3ft each and small tree/bush 5 ft. They sent a 5 (?) man crew who spent at least 6 hrs working (or not) then waited around for about 2 hrs waiting for more mulch to finish a 5X10 area where they ran out. Anyway - total bill was 3850.00 - 2430.00 in labor. What I heard on the phone was 50.00 an hr. Not 50.00 a man hr. They billed me for 55 man hrs. I live in small/med Indiana town. I never dreamed that this work would cost almost 4,000. I've had the same work done by "freelance" types in the past for under 1,000 - way under 1,000 sometimes. Work is very good and it looks great- I've talked to company and they haven't called me back about adjusting the "man hrs." Am I out of line? Thanks - I know you all work hard and are not treated well sometimes - :)
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have any pictures to get a better idea of the work actually done - Trimming & Mulch?

I usually figure $60 / yard for mulch installed. For the rest, I charge retail cost + $40 / hour just to give an idea. Five guys should have been flying through that though.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

8 hours with 5 guys to plant a few shrubs, trim the existing shrubs and do 16 yards of mulch?

55 man hours?
    How's that compute with 5 guys for 8 hours?

I don't typically call out pricing of others but it does piss me off when people get down right stupid with pricing, it makes the rest of us look bad.

If you got this amount of work done for "well under a thousand" you'd better go find them boys cause that's entirely in the opposite direction as well.

Without actually seeing the job it sounds like a $2000-$2500 install.
  4. D and H Seasonal Services

D and H Seasonal Services LawnSite Member
    from SE, Pa

I get $75.00 per yard of mulch installed x 16 yards is 1200.00 right there.
  5. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Post some pics so I can see what exactly they did. Then I will be able to answer this question properly. Thanks Jazak
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

$50 per hour is a good price for one guy ,so he has 5 guys working for 8 hrs -16yds of mulch at $$$??? - 95 feet of metal edging at $$$???- 2 bushes and 1 tree at $$$???- cost for disposal of debris from triming and weeding at $$$??? the sounds of it the price isnt too far off but the labor math is off or he has more time on the job.did it come out good ?lets see some pics of everything:drinkup:
  8. All Season Bill

All Season Bill LawnSite Member

Sounds like your right on the money Carcrz.

But your right - 5 guys should have been able to wiz through that.
  9. All Season Bill

All Season Bill LawnSite Member

.....And one more thing. If they did the math right, they should've had enough mulch - unless your dealing with a huge condo. It's not that hard to figure it. Some pros can guess - I have a formula and then a little logic.
  10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Plain and simple if what was said was $50/hr then it matters not how many people are working for that hour...the talley should not exceed $50 IMHO...

Now, IF you were told $50 PER MAN HOUR, then and only then can you expect to pay well over $50/hr...JMHO...