sent bill, no check...yet

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, Jul 30, 2005.

1. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

ya i've been wondering what the "bobbygedd" bill collecting method is...i also searched and couldent find anything useful....care to tell me??

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

when you go to get your money take a shovel with you and kinda just lean on it suspiciously lol... seems to work

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

what i do is ,if someone does not pay within 30 days, i sent them a certified invoice with late fees, in my state late fees are 1.5% per 30 days 18% annum
    if after you know that tey recieved your bill, they dont pay then i would call them,and see what they say. by doing it this way, it tells them that HEY you did the work and now you need to get paid!!!!! hope that helps you!!!

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my collection methods involve intimidation and unorthadox methods such as- calling thier home at 2 am, using foul language, then showing up at 2:15 am to collect (it works, done it). being persistant, calling several times daily. follow them to the supermarket, when they are in the middle of a crowded isle, say VERY LOUDLY, " oh, hi mr smith, can you pay your grasscutting bill? it's 2 months overdue, i really need it, i have a family to feed, it's obvious you been avoiding me..." or of course the shovel. when you walk up to the door, bring a shovel, hold it over your shoulder, and be a bit "pursuasive", "mr. smith i think this has gone far enough, why don't you just pay your bill before this gets ugly....." trust me it works. being "nice" will never work.

5. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

HAHAHAH!!! your crazy...some of this stuff will get you arrested hahahaha...the check i was waiting for came in the mail yesterday so i'm all set on my "collections methods"...i still think its funny tho....

6. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

bobbygedd.

You are my new hero. That's funny.. the whole shovel thing. You are quickly becoming legend up here at work.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dam....It seems everytime I post it turns into a 2 or 3 pager....

I'm really not here to make everyone upset.......

8. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

How do you figure you're making everyone upset? You seem like a pretty cool guy to me, not at all troll-like.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Then do remember this is the time of year ppls go on vacation...

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever collected the late fee?
    Here the late fee can be whatever we want so long we can justify it AND we have informed the consumer, but I've never collected one yet... Still, they almost always pay since I do like this:
    30-day due: Same bill as original plus a note that says - 'Prompt payment avoids late fee.'
    60-day due: Same bill plus 75 dollar late fee plus a note that says - 'Prompt payment avoids legal action.'
    They ALWAYS pay by this time, but they pay the original amount...

Yes I know I COULD lower the late fee as this MIGHT get a FEW people to pay it, but then the 75 dollars is the equivalent of dropping the 2,500 ton bomb in the psychological warfare department - It doesn't f*k around.

When I want my money faster, I do the photography trick - that one rules as well, thus far.