1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sentar problems cured?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, May 31, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I recently purchased a new Wright Sentar w/19hp Kaw and 48"cut.I decided to try it it out on my own yard, because I'm not used to this type of mower,and had all kinds of problems.With the blade engaged it stalled constantly and backfired like crazy.Also,when I would sit it would immediately choke down.None of this occurred with the blade turned off.The next day I tried it again and the mower worked great.I will admit that the first time I used it I jerked around alot and had trouble maintaining a constant speed.Once I got used to the mower and operated it smoothly I didn't have any trouble with stalling.Does this make sense to anyone?Should I feel like the mower is OK now?Thanks.
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Kawi need to be broken in 1st. Run them at half power for half and hour then at full power. To get all the oil into ever where it needs to be. Then check the oil again, you probably are going to need to add some.

Also you have to keep your feet on the front of the foot plate. Or it will cut out. This happens when you go from standing to sitting. I disconnected mine. It was driving me nuts on my bumpy properties. I am going to do so modification to it so stop that problem so I can hook them back up.

It takes about 3 hours to get used to a stander, a sentar should be the same. Also take the pins that hold the cable in the hole with the rabbit on the control levers, put them into the hole with the turtle. Thats just the right speed for cutting tall grass around 7 mph. Also makes it less sensitive. Which equals a less jerky control.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no. you should go back to the dealer and find out what you are doing wrong or if something is wrong with the sentar.

4. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the problem was with the footplate,green.It makes sense,too_Once I got to the point where I could operate the mower smoothly I maintained constant pressure down there and didn't have any more trouble with it stalling.That also explains why it sounds like it's going to choke down when I hit a bump.
    I'll work with it a little more this afternoon just to be sure.Thanks.