Sentar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, Jun 3, 2002.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Does anyone own the Sentar? Are you happy with it? What don't you like about it? I think that I am going to buy this machine within the month depending on reviews. Thanks for your help.

2. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I have the 61" sentar with the 25 hp kawi.
    I also have a 27hp lc lazer 60"
    They are both great but I like the sentar better, it is better on hills
    and great for my residental lawns it doesn't tear the grass as much in the turns and doesn't look real big on some small lawns
    It is also built with less to go wrong and a lot less safety
    switches.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Phil,

Do you feel that is as efficient as your Lazer?

4. scott's turf

from NH

We would be using it for residential and I do need a mower that is good on hills. The design seems a lot safer for you can easily get off the machine. Can you drive the machine while walking behine it if necessary or do the safety swiches prevent this? I plan on demo-ing hopefully a 61" later this week. Any negative comments on the machine? Thanks for your input.

-Scott

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You could also buy a 54 or 48 Hustler WB and put a good bullrider or other type of zeroturn style velky. FYI, a velky on a WB is like an outfront mower and lets you see better, trim better and get under and trees or bushes, unlike a normal rider. Also, you can unhook the velky and have a nice WB.
    The Hustler has a much better, less fatiguing and more accurate control system than the Sentar or stander. Finally, you should be able to buy the machine and velky for $5,000 or less.

Hustler WB.... own the best and laugh at the rest!!!!!
    Pete

6. Scraper

:confused: :confused: :confused:

What does this have to do with the posted question? No way is a WB going to be more efficient on larger parcels than a rider. BTW...if Hustler are so good...why is it the only place I see them is in advertisements in the trade mags I receive? :p

7. scott's turf

from NH

I don't know of any hustler dealers up this way. I already have two belt driven bobcat 54" walk behinds. They are getting tire and so am I of fixing them. One will remain on the trailer with a sit down machine as well. Most of the yards we do are fairly hilly and small. The largest one takes about 1 hour solo with the w/b. I am not looking for anything with bagging cababilities. Sit of standing I guess, but want the convience of quickly hopping off the mower.

8. Scraper

Scott,

I too have been considering the purchase of the Sentar. I like the fact that it is somewhat compact and won't look as large as a rider on my properties from 1-2 acres where people may get uptight. However, I believe it can be more efficient as it looks like it will get the ground speeds of a rider. I'm sorry to see Wright is no longer a sponsor...that was one thing that would have added input in my decision to buy, but I am still strongly leaning towards the Sentar over the Lazer or Dixie.

It doesn't appear that you can get off this thing and walk next to it.

9. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a Sentar, twice. It was the 61" with 23HP Kawasaki. It seemed to have more power than my Great Dane Chariot with 61" 25HP Kohler. The first time I demoed I loved this thing. I took it on residential yards up to about 2.5 acres. The second time I took it to an industrial place I mow and after about 25 minutes on the rough ground my rear was not agreeing with the small seat area. I thought that I would stand up for a little while to rest my backside, it seemed very ackward standing so that did not last long either. I have used a Stander and it is much more comfortable when standing than the Sentar. I was also glad that I had not purchased the Sentar when I noticed that Wright was no longer a sponsor on here as listed above by scraper. I just got back from ordering an Exmark EPS 60" if that tells you which one my decision went to. I hope Exmark remains on this site!!

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK, obviously this guy wants something better than a typical rider, or he would have not mentioned Sentar by name. So, with that thought in mind I offered my alternative to a back/neck wrecking twin stick rider.
    Third, I don't see where the post asks specifically asks about mowing "larger parcels". in fact the guy is mowing smaller areas. Fourth, he wants to be able to hop off the machine if necessary, which you can't do on a rider.....Err, maybe you can.
    Last, I could care less what "someone else" uses, since "I'm" the one that will be using it. Furthermore, ask the owner operator that's been using a rider day in and day out for the last 15/20 years, and I'll guarantee his back and neck need attention.
    Pete