1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Separate ways or stick together???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by yardsmith, Nov 21, 2000.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I finally have 2 trucks now to use for plowing, & my dad is helping out by driving the other truck. He is relatively new to plowing, but learning at a good rate.
    My question is: those of you who have a few trucks (but not a fleet) do you pair up & tackle places together, or go in diff. directions to get the route done sooner?
    Both would have advantages, esp. if one gets stuck the other guy is right there to help. On the other hand, 2 trucks do not double your efficiency on 1 property.
    What do some of you guys do, or do you do both occaisionally? For now we'll be on the road together, esp. until he learns the ropes.
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We split up to do seperate areas. Otherwise we may bump into eachother. I have tried plowing areas with 2 trucks and found only time savers are bigger areas like Wallmart size lots.

JD PLOWER LawnSite Member

Yardsmith, we have three trucks plus subs, and if we stay together it usually means it's a really bad storm. The other thing to remember is how close are your accounts to each other? Sticking together at first while someone is learning the ropes or if your checking out a sub contractor is a good idea, but efficiency is the name of the game and splitting up is the way to go.
  4. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

The faster you show more people you are plowing the better.Its better to have started two places when a truck breaks down than to have only gotten more of one done.
  5. Alan

Alan Member

We've got a few places where we tag team with two trucks. But our usual practice is to go in several directions at once. For the past few years we've had two trucks, this year it will be 3 and hopefully 4 if I can get my act together and get the last one sandblasted and painted and a mounting frame made for it. At times we will try to get two trucks in the same area, like our local industrial park. We do five buildings there and it's close enough for our hand radios to talk between rigs which makes it nice if somebody gets hung up. We haven't expanded the route much this year, but we did trade some small accounts for a few bigger ones. I'm hoping that with the extra truck or two we will be able to get around the route faster and give better service. If we can cover the route faster we will increase revenue by being able to get more pushes out of a heavy storm.
  6. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the rest of the guys. if you have a bad storm or a large lot stick together.

If you have alot of small driveways or parking lots, split up.

I would recommend (if you don't already)to invest in either a radio communication system or cell phones so you can keep in touch if you break down or need help at a site.

7. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the majority here we split up. if 1 truck gets in trouble we can help him out ,but otherwise too many pieces of equipment at 1 location means congestion
  8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Residentials are one truck opps. However I have several lots where a couple of trucks work together.

9. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

We talked and agreed that we get more done when apart - less coffee consumed, fewer pit stops....

Jackpot proof your route - then just the truck to worry about.

[Edited by Deere John on 11-22-2000 at 06:17 PM]
  10. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

You always split up unless you're all going to the bar to take a break.