separating lawn from field

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by greenguy08, May 18, 2008.

1. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I need some ideas for how to separate a nice suburban lawn from the overgrown field in the adjacent lot. I'm installing new sod and want to prevent the brushy growth in the field from encroaching. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

would a hedge work in this design?
    or make some huge boulders

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Privacy fence would work. Maybe even a cheap 3.5 foot picket fence. The hedges would work nicely too.

The only real thing you can do to keep the weeds, and overgrowth coming from the other lot, would be to put the customer on a weed control schedule. It sounds like you'll be dealing with weeds more than anything else.

Is it an empty sub-division lot, or an established prairie ground/ pasture land?

4. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

The neighboring lot is an undeveloped lot, owned by the same homeowner as the yard I'm re-sodding. It's bostly tall brambles and autumn olive at this point, and I can assume that the usual goldenrod, ragweed, and other "field- type" weeds are established there as well.

5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

maybe a bed ??

6. White Gardens

How about thinking about doing a weed control aplications on both lawn and empty lot ??

If it's just one lot and no others adjacent, then I'd keep the weeds down.

7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Bush hog down the growth on the empty lot once per year, and you will get rid of the autumn olive, also keeps weeds from getting tall enough to spread seed to the home site.:waving:

8. White Gardens

That's hard to do though, especially when it comes to dandilions. They seed out quickly.