Separating Money for Business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lohse's Lawn Service, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

This is probably more of a personal business question, but I'd like to know what other businesses are doing.

What/how do you separate money for business? In other words, percentage-wise, what % do you put back for fuel? Taxes? Repairs? Supplies? etc.

And do most of you guys have 3-4 banking accounts for business, or just one business account, with a ledger dividing up money for different expenses of the business?

I hope this all makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

struggeling with that myself.

only 1 business acount. 1 personal.

was thinking about other accounts but I think it would be a PITA to keep up with

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Business savings account and business checking account. All money recived goes into business savings. Then I transfer money to business checking to run business. I write myself a weekly check as payroll. I use Lawn/Monkey program for business, trackes everything I enter.

4. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

That works for me. Do you mind if I ask what % of the week's income do you write yourself a check as payroll? Thanks.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I don't do a %, just take 200-300.00, depending on what is happening in the upcomming week.

6. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

we have our personal accounts set up without any business link to them.

we have a few savings accounts, few checking accounts. we have to do this because we do alot of work for a few diff banks. they like to have hefty amounts in your accounts as they give you good money for the work.

however we NEVER deposit a check from one bank to a different bank, if they see this they shun on you whioch i understand.

we pay all our bills out of one bank account and then payroll out of another, tax out of another.... and other accounts to bank off of in case of hardship