1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seperating home from business

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jul 17, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'm now trying to start separating my home life from my business life. My business has been run out of my house for 13 years, taking up half my garage, bedroom turned into office, working at night invoicing, paying bills, filing, etc. And I'm tired. Damn tired. So I'm trying to move the stress out of the house.

So I finally got a shop this weekend. No overhead door to get a vehicle in, but has plenty of fenced in storage for vehicles and my compressor. Office with 2 built in desks, bathroom WITH shower, separate shed/trailer, and outdoor area for BBQ and Friday Afternoon Club. I live far enough away from my guys that picking up invoices, checks, time cards, is always a problem. I may not see them for a week or two when we're busy. The shop is close to two suppliers, one employee, the interstate, and my mom (gives me reasons to see her more often). But is not convenient for my house. But it would make less sense to have one near me. Maybe next year I can have an office assistant/secretary type person.

I will probably wait until the off season to change phone lines over to it. But it is a start. Now I'm getting my extra supplies, tools, junk, brass and copper to recycle, hot air balloon, all out of my garage. Maybe I can park in there this winter during more blizzards.
  2. Dana,
    A suggestion as I run 3 different locations.

Learn how to set up a virtual private network, vpn for short.

Drawbacks: need to leave computer on and open to the internet so you need both software and hardware firewalls

Pro's: always have access to my business files without being in the office.

This would give you the ability to take your paperwork\computers anywhere you go.

It has been a life saver for me. If I choose to do paperwork when I'm taking time off I'm able to connect to my office computer to do the paper work, it gives me the ability to have my wife connect to the office computer to process payments.

Now if I can figure a way of transporting equipment when forgotten from the yard to my satellite location instantly and not drive 80 miles each direction, I wouldn't need to do irrigation.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Also, don't forget a security system w/ cameras as well.
  4. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

good for you dana, the best year I ever had was the year I managed the business from the golf course 3 days a week.
  5. Hope it works Dana. I'd love to own an office. Can't stand paying rent. When I started my business a successful customer told me either keep you business small with minimum overhead so that all price increase go straight to the bottom line or get really big so that overhead becomes percentage wise a very small expense. Another good tip I got was learn to work on your business not in your business. Did okay on the first but flunked the second tip. I basically am the classic small business. Two service crews and running it out of my house along with pigtail sales and packaging. Manage pigtails from 4-6:30am and irrigation service work 8am-6pm and calls til 8pm or so.
    It would not work if I had a wife of girlfriend. Hope this works for you. By the way I had my folks move across the street from me so I could be of assistance to them. Dad passed away July 2004 so it's just Mom and she is 85. Walk over there every night to check on her. It really limits your social life but I'm happy I talked them into it.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

This probably won't be the most profitable year - pains and go-backs due to the new guy, blown transmission, lease for shop, big scrape and hole in the side of the truck from new guy, me taking many little trips and having family come out many times this year (one brother comes out tomorrow from Montana so I'm taking a few more days off0, and want to buy another compressor and maybe two if price is right.
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately this is a lease, not a buy. But pretty low rent, and it's a start.
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Or just get an external USB connected hard drive.
  9. The hard drive is the way I used to do it.....easier, safer....
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Easier, possibly in the short run. Safer, probably not unless it's magnetically shielded, is in a shock resistant enclosure, and has full disk encryption.

VPN's are not difficult to setup and given the distance between house and shop is worth looking into, especially if you have on-site security camera's.