1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sept 11

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tim Baden, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Tim Baden

Tim Baden LawnSite Member

Was just curious,are you gona work that day.We are gona work a half a day then go visit the fire dept.they ar putting on something special.
  2. Plan on working as usual. Who knows, might even pick up some new accounts form those that plan on taking the day off.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Terrorist win if we stop everything. We will be working. Seems like people try to find too many reasons not to work.
  4. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

I dont plan on taking advantage of Sept. 11, gaining accounts is the last thing on my mind on this day. I really hope you don't mean what I think you mean Choupique. I would hope you have a bigger view of life than to think more accounts should be your biggest goal in life. Hundreds of thousands of our ancestors died so that we can live without tyranny, so that you can be free.

This question has weighed heavily on my mind the last couple of weeks, as of right now I don't have anybody scheduled next Wed. I really want to work that day as a symbol of American freedom, that the terrorist can't stop my country or my personal dreams from being realized. It would give me a feeling of defiance towards the terrorists that want to destroy everything I believe in.

However, three thousand Americans died last year on this day and I want to respect their memories and pay tribute to all of them. Even if I work it would be for 1/2 a day, I want to see the presidents speach as well as the other memorials planned.

I don't think that it would be unnapropriate to work, but I do think you need to understand the importance the day symbolises
  5. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

9/11/01 started as a beautiful day in this part of Florida, just a hint of what passes for fall here was in the air, I was cutting a customer lawn and as usual listening to the oldies radio station on my remote head phones, This station did not break in until after the second plane hit the WTC. My daughter works about 10 blocks from the site. I stopped the mower, left it were it was, unhitched the trailer and raced home to my wife. We were able to call her on her cell phone and kept in contact with her until she reached home in New Jersey, she had to take a ferry home that day and they had some injured people from the site being transported to hospitals in New Jersey on the boat. She threw away what she was wearing because they were full of dust and smoke. It's a small world, several days later I found out the the brother of a friend of mine was on flight 93. My neighbor in back of me is a retired NY city firemen, he left the next day and drove straight thru and was a volunteer at ground Zero and yes he did know some of the hero's, :angel:

I called the customer later on that day, and told him I would be back that day, He said he put the mower in the his garage and covered my trailer with a tarp and not to worry about it. I got there the next day and finished up. I did not send him a bill that Month but he insisted on paying.

Sorry guys for venting and rambling

Dan the lawn care man
  6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I plan on working. I really don't want to let the terrorists win. I have been trying to spend more money to help the economy. It will be a difficult day to concentrate, I'll probably try to avoid the news for the most part.
  7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I will be working a full day (6 hours, since I still have my Navy job to go to in the evening). Have to keep working and going about our business as usual or the terrorists win. Last year I deployed to the Persian Gulf on Sept. 18th. I was there for 6 months and that was a hard time for me and my family. I will take time out that day to pray for the people who lost their lives and their families and also to thank God for letting us live in the greatest country in the world.
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I'll be working that day, but I will do something to honor that day. Maybe I'll put me a big ole flag on my mower.:D
  9. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

If lawns keep growing,we'll be mowing.How ever there will be a minute of silence.
  10. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I will be at the fire station. If I wasn't there, I wold be out cutting.
    I still remember were I was that day when I heard the news. I was takeing my daughter to her first day off preschool when i heard that a plane had ran into the W.T.C. At first I thought it was a lear jet beause all they said was a jet ran into the building.

I will say a pray for all of the fallen heros and victims of that day.