September Reseeding/Fertilizer Help Needed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dschribs, Sep 4, 2007.

1. dschribs

dschribs LawnSite Member

Hi All
    I just reseeded about 20% of my front lawn with Scott's Sun and Shade mix (KBG, Ryegrass, fescue). I plan on doing about 20% of the back yard on September 15. (The soonest I can get to it given my work commitments).

Having said that, I now have a question about fertilizing.

I've read that September might be the most important time to fertilize your lawn. However, Scott's recommends that I not fertilize until 4-6 weeks after the seed has been put down. Given the fact that my existing lawn needs fertilizer now, but I just put down seed, what do I do?

- Should I use starter fertilizer on the entire lawn?
    - Should I wait the 4-6 weeks after I put the seed down.
    - If I do have to wait the 4-6 weeks, what should I use for fertilizer? Should I use regular old Scott's lawn fertilizer at that time? Their Winterguard?? Something else??

Help!

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

If the Scott's fertilizer has ANY weed control product in it, Don't use it when you are seeding. My .02 for free!

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Use a starter fertilizer, when you lay the seed and 4-6 weeks after...... it is designed to promote root growth...... Also you may be better off to get seed from local, sod/seed farms.......

4. dschribs

dschribs LawnSite Member

I am laying the seed at about the same time the entire lawn needs to be fertilized. Do I use a started fertilizer on the entire lawn - even the parts that have established grass?

What product should I use 4-6 weeks later?

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

really only the new seed needs the Starter fert, it won't hurt the rest. Use the starter again in 4-6 weeks....