Septic drain fields

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Jun 30, 2008.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

What is the going rate in your area for chamber systems, ez flow or other systems you install.
    The materials here are about 6 dollars a foot for the Chambers and Ez flow and I shoot for 11.00 dollars a foot(min) installed plus obstacles.
    Thats based on a average of 200 foot or more.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The filtration fields here used to go for $30,000 from start to green grass on top, but now the price has dropped to $10,000.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It goes so cheap here they are hardly worth doing. The average home with a 1000 gal. tank and about 30 Plus 4 Infiltrators is about 3200.00 give or take a couple hundred. The tank is about a grand, the Plus 4s are about 19 dollars a piece plus the Distribution box and connecting ABS, plus the inspection fee 35.00 It is always a two day deal. Works out to about 800-1200 net per system.

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we do all kinds of systems...from simple gravity systems all the way to complicated drip systems that i posted in my pictures thread last week...my boss built his company on septic systems and still accounts for a good bit of annual income, there is money to the trained company...we encompass all aspects from installation, pumping, and service

here in PA not just any guy can install a system (though it seems like that) there is big government spending in the research of these systems...to answer you main question the usual system for us includes a 1250 dual compartment tank, a pump tank, 1/3 or 1/2 HP pump and pressure field will run around $12,000

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For a pressurized system its minimum 40,000 the biggest cost is the engineering and C33 septic sand. Septic systems now have to be installed by a licensed installer or engineer. Once it is installed the contractor is responsible for that field even if it fails 30 years from now. Most contractors that are licensed don't want to do septic systems because of all the BS you have to go through.

A gravity fed system is non existant nowwadays not many building lots have enough area for a conventional field.

The gov't has taken all the blame off of them and put it on the contractor.

6. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

AWJ here price about twice as much as actual cost,because we have a women santain person ,who doesn't know jack crap ,but what she has read out of a book .

SOOOOOOO to cover your behind it cost customers twice as much.She has to inspect it before you can backfill and when it comes time to backfill she is off looking for Bobcat Ron:) and your waiting!!!!!

Plus with it raining every other day it's impossible to dig and wait for her to get off the pot,so you can backfill.

Here you have to get certified.I have a couple to do ,but been waiting for better weather.The one i'll be using the 36" size for the fields.

Good luck.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

dear lord i thought we were the only ones with this problem...there is one township around here that has an absolute b*tch of a woman inspector that knows her stuff but gets power trips by telling people what to do...in that township we jack the prices up big because she makes what should be a two day job into a week or two affair

8. AWJ Services

from Ga

The Inspectors here are very prompt and are easy too work with.
    I am doing more Field replacements and the last one was a pain in the rear.
    They had 200 foot of gravel packed in a back yard that was no more 3000 sq/ft.
    The last 100 foot failed because of a large tree that grew through the field.
    The bad part is I had too install my system on top of that one.
    They require us too dig at least 10ft of the old field up and replace with dirt and only cross perpendicular too the old field.
    It gets messy with all the liquid everywhere.
    There was very little area too dig and no way too get back too any area after the trench was dug.
    I had not installed in this county yet so I was really careful about my trenches.
    I pulled my runs within a 1/2 inch.
    They limit us too 125 foot runs here and then we have too have a dam.
    This system had 4 dams in 200 ft of chambers.
    The Inspector comes out and my first question was what is your tolerance on your trenches.
    He answers within 4 inches end too end .
    He was really happy with my system.LOL

I average about 1200 profit on a field.
    I can do 1 a day and I pay my helper out of that 1200 dollars.
    We warranty for 3 years labor only.

Any tricks of the trades you guys would like too share?

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Do you set any tanks or is this strictly drain field replacement?

10. AWJ Services

from Ga

That was just drain field.
    The Tanks average 750 dollars delivered and set for a 1000 gallon concrete tank.

I try too make 1500 dollars profit on a 1000 gallon tank and a 200 foot field install which is around 2100 materials for a 3600 dollar total average.
    I was using someone elses machine till I got the Kubota.
    However there are companies here that will do them for much less in new construction so I have really been concentrating on repairs and replacements.