Septic tank causing dry spot?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HoseJockey, Sep 9, 2006.

1. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

My neighbor pointed out the area of turf where the tank is in the ground has a dry spot. This happen over the holiday weekend. When I got back in town he came over and showed me the spots. He said in morning when its cool, you can walk on the grass and its cool except for the area over the tank where its about 15 degrees warmer.The four house around mine have the same spots where the tanks are in the ground. Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

Thanks

2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

That's what happens when there is only a few inches of soil on top of concrete. The root system has nothing to draw from and there is not enough mass to prevent wide temperature swings. Once that little bit of water in the top few inches is used up; it's over.

3. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Sure.
    See it often.
    take a soil probe or anything that will poke a reasonable hole in the ground and stick it around that area.
    You will probably find that the soil is shallow there.
    Its a hot spot.
    Good luck

4. HoseJockey

from Memphis

what can i do to fix the problem, besides watering the area more then the rest of the lawn?

thanks for the fast response

5. Pilgrims' Pride

from MA.

lots of top dressing to make the soil thicker.
    be sure to put a riser on the top of your tanks cover so that you can find it for pumping

6. HoseJockey

from Memphis

thanks Pride

Im sure a company could attach a riser?

Sorry if its a stupid question, this is our first house and septic tank so Im not familiar the problems that can occur.
    I do however know what a septic tank hold inside.

thanks

7. Pilgrims' Pride

from MA.

8. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

ive seen hot spots caused by rocks, old sidewalks that have grown over, construction debris, etc etc... that spot will always require more water.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

good spot for a decorative wishing well, wind mill or light house, something thats not hard to move.

10. HoseJockey

from Memphis

great ideas stumper. I would have never thought about that.