Septic Tank

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by aperfectlawn, Feb 16, 2004.

1. aperfectlawn

aperfectlawn LawnSite Member

I have a friend that has a 10'x10' area with a septic tank below. They have averaged to get it pumped twice a year. What would be the best thing to plant/ place above this area?

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Never plant anything over a septic tank. If the roots dont get in and ruin the tanks, you will have to dig them up each time you pump it out.

3. aperfectlawn

Here is the area....

1.jpg

4. aperfectlawn

should i just get rid of the grass in the area and apply red mulch. I have no idea.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

mulch and some potted plants

Is the tank in the yard or the bed?

6. aperfectlawn

It is in the bed. The reason for the border is to know where the tank is. Would a bench look good, or a table?

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

A nice wicker bench would look good with some potted plants for color.

8. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

You should be safe with perennials around the tank, but no trees or shrubs. More importantly, where does the sewage go after the tank? If there is some kind of absorbtion field on the property, that would be the bigger concern as far as planting. Tree and shrub roots getting into the absorbtion area can cause major damage to an on-site septic system.

I am currently purchasing a property where tree roots have caused the complete failure of a seepage pit system. The closest tree (silver maple) is 20 feet from 1 of 3 seepage pits.

9. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

How about an annual bed? Annuals are great for what you are doing. You could go with a nice mixed bed of petunias, marigolds geraniums maybe for some added height in the rear you could use snapdragons. A medium size stone located between the tank covers would add some character to the bed. Don't worry about weight on the tank with the stone. Those tanks have six inch reinforced tops. You won't break the tank.

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Septic tanks are not a big problem. All you need is access to the lid to empty it. If the lid is deep, you can add a riser to bring it close to or up to the surface. Roots entering a tank is not much of a problem, as someone else mentioned it is the soil absorption component that has that problem.

The problem here is access. If the lid is deep it requires a big wide hole. That means moving several plants or having a big open area. Put the riser on the tank and maybe a nice stone or sculpture on the lid. Then you have no digging, you know where it is, and the garden will look nice.

PS. I am very involved with onsite sewage disposal system design.