Sercice Call Charges

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by i_plant_art, Jan 2, 2005.

1. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

im curious to see what some of you other guys around the country are charging for irrigation service calls. currently im @ 55.00. Just wanting to see how it varies. THanks guys
  2. In Arizona we are at $65 for 1st 1/2 hour
    In colorado we plan to be at $55 for 1st 45 minutes
  3. Matt0963

Matt0963 LawnSite Member

In my area of texas, most people are charging 55-65.

CAL-LANDSCAPER LawnSite Member

May need to increase my rates
    Currently $48 for 1st 1/2 hr
    and $48 for each hr after.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

$50 for the first half hour
    $54 per hour after that, but based on quarter hour $13.50
    May raise it to $56 this year
  6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Service call is $55.00. And that's good for up to an hour. Then it's $55.00/hr after that. If I have to drag out the locator it's another $25.00 in the first hour. If it takes more than an hour to find and fix the problems, the locator price goes to $45.00 per day.

I had one gentleman tell me my rates were pretty high for the 20 minutes or so of work he had. I told him I would get the work done and then he could bring out the coffee and we could shoot the breeze for the balance of the hour if he liked. He laughed and told me to come on out and he would get the coffee ready. We had a cup of coffee afterwards and he then sent me over to his neighbor who needed some work done also. Told me to charge him $60.00/hr since his coffee wasn't fit to drink.

7. Jerry.....45 per day after the first day of locator service???? you meant 45 per hour right?

As for the coffee comment....can I use that one?
  8. jerryrwm

No, I charge the customer a locator use fee which is equal to the rental rate that the supply house would charge for using their locator. The $45.00/day is for the actual machine itself and is invoiced as a seperate line item. I still charge $55.00/hr for my time.

And yes you can use the coffee line. I still go by and have coffee occasionally if I am in the neighborhood and not pressed for time. He's a retired widower so I just check on him once in a while. Turns out he is a 'son of the widow' and we discuss that also over coffee.

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Jerry, I'm surprised that you don't tack on at least ten to twenty percent onto the equipment fee, or do you feel that the $45 rental fee for the locator is already too high?

If I itemize equipment, chemicals, or whatever seperately on another line, then I generally charge 20% more per item than what my cost is. I always felt that this was the minimum just to recoup the expense of picking up the equipment. Perhaps if my rates were up on par with what some of you charge for service calls then I'd feel less inclined to do this.
  10. jerryrwm

The locator was one of my excellent purchases from Ebay. $225.00 including shipping. I've had it for 3 years. So the locator has paid for itself and a replacement several times over. The charges for locator go into a replacement equipment account and I have purchased a Pulser and a set of Backflow gauges out of it. So it's really a cash cow line item now.

If I was having to rent one, then I would charge $60.00/day.

Jerry R