serious edger problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by -, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Guest

my blessed edger is in bad need... seemd it cant [ull the blade at full throttle gets a muffled sound its getting depressing..anybodu know whats wrong with my poor edger I need it to work bad

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it have high rpms? if not,have you tried taking the muffler off and cleaning the exaust port..if its a 2 storke they tend to get build up.make sure you turn it so the opening faces down.dont let that stuff get into the cylinder.Hope this helps

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Try swearing at it, throwing it against the trailer, then take it to the mower shop, that works for me lol. There is a screen on the muffler i think, for emmisions, if its fairly new thats probably the problem, take it off its useless. If it has power, but the blade wont turn, it could be a worn out end on the driveshaft, and its slipping, if not see above.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If its a stick edger, I'll put $20 on it being a clogged exhaust port or arrestor, or both. If its an Echo, I'll put $100 on it :D

5. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

Do you have to replace the spark arrestors? Or can you take them off? I have an echo, and it runs good now but I was wondering if I could just take the arrestor off.

6. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Yeah, what kind of edger is it.

7. Vintage

Vintage LawnSite Member

I always take off the spark arrestor screen as soon as the equipment is out of warranty. You will get better performance and it just shoots all the carbon right out the muffler.

8. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

i had an old edger i used for a season and a week. early second week, it rattled off the muffler ( no loss it was just a can with holes in it. Then it started shooting out fire out the side of it, pretty neat, especially when runnign it at night