Serious Stripers: getting artistic?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GroundKprs, Nov 24, 2002.

1. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

A book by David Mellor, the Director of Grounds for the Boston Red Sox Baseball Club. David was one of the original creators of elaborate striping effects on baseball fields. <a href=",,1575041510,00.html">Picture Perfect: Mowing Techniques for Lawns, Landscapes, and Sports</a>

Anyone use his patterns and ideas?
  2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I have the book and I refer to it very often. I have tried a few of his original patters, though some of them don't work very well since you have to wear them in over time,,,which is one thing I haven't had lately.:rolleyes:
  3. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I have seen that lawn on the Symplicity web site. Wonder haw many tries before he got it right? :)
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have the book here too. If all I had to do was work on one lawn then I would use the techniques in the book. But I think my customers might think me crazy if I break out a broom to adjust the stripes on thier lawns.
  5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I have it also, it was one of the first books I bought after getting into this. I've used some of the patterns and look forward to trying more as the opportunities arise. It's an excellent book to have for reference.
  6. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I have the book as well. As everyone else said its hard to do it unless you have the time. I do some patterns on friday on my last and biggest lawn. I believe it would work best on open flat land. If I pick up these baseball and football feilds I bid on I will do it to build up my photo album. Travis