serious worker issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Leone LawnCare, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

i can not find a worker that is consistant and wants to work. Ive tried and i just cant get it. Any ideas on how to retain a decent employee and how to find one.

2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

pay him lots of money

3. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

My brother and I do all of our lawns every week and we usually have 2 days that we don't mow our own lawns off. Those 2 days we have saved for working for friend's companies. We do this because once school starts we figure we can't handle those 2 days more of mowing until we get another walk behind. You should look for people like that to help you a few days of the week, kids who need a summer job and have a good background at this work. By the end of every week for almost the last 2 months we've mowed 70 lawns and a 2.5 acre cemetary, so just find kids like us that want to work and know what they are doing.

4. Lakeside

Lakeside LawnSite Member

how much do you pay? do you provide benefits (lunch, water, breaks, etc.)? maybe you arent a good person to work for. there is good help out there, but sometimes it's a little hard to find...

5. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have any one working for me, but I have friends who run business and have worked at a lot of jobs. I think it takes a combination of very good back ground checks and very good compensation and a lot of luck. Its hard to seperate ****bags from good ones some times. I work for a buddy who owns a floor cleaning service. He can never find good full time help. I tell him its cause what he pays will only get him those who will work for it, which many times are ****bags pure and simple. His last fulltime guy just decided not to call him for 2 weeks and tell him what was going on. He had been working for him for some time too. This owner is not an ahole so they just try to walk all over him. But I dont think an ahole would make much diference they would just quit sooner. I help him out at night but Im busy with my business and my other job. Good partime help is not a problem, there are always good college kids and others who want the extra money. Its the ones who do it full time cause they have no drive in life and live on drugs and alchohol. Not always but alot of the time I have found this to be true.

6. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

I would have to agree that there is good part-timers out there, BUT they are hard to find. I ran an ad in my local paper this past weekend for p/t help - I received 75 phone calls, did 20+ interviews, and only came up with 1 that I was excited about. I had everything from convicted felons to a 40-year old still living with his parents - and they drove him to the interview!!!

Alot of work, but hopefully worth it. Good luck to you Leone...

7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Were in Michigan are you located?

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

last week i picked up one of my BEST employees. hes 18, a senior, im a junior. we got 18 lawns done last friday in 3.5 hours. it was INSANE! most of the lawns were 3 in a row, but we still were flying with em. i cant wait until this thursday and friday. and he has been working with the landscaping part this week, and hes been catching on really good. I have a feeling that he is going to be working for a long time. He wants to work, he enjoys being outside, and knows that im his boss, not his freind!

also, leone, where bouts in mi are ya? i know 3 leones, 2 leone doctors and a 16yr old.

9. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

im in the bloomfield area in oakland county

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Just do your best and not get discouraged. You'll probably go thru a lot of workers before you find that "diamond in the rough"
    Just pay a fair wage and don't expect too much at first. This business does not attract a lot of MIT graduates.