1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seriously... patchy frost?? C'mon!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, May 7, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Some of you may have seen the previous posts of my snow the last couple of weekends before last.

Others may have seen my post about a month ago "Who is NOT working yet?"

Well, I just checked the forecast for this week coming up, figuring out the schedule of what's left to do before we "start to mow" next week.

Tonight, a low of 33 with freaking PATCHY FROST!!

I was at Lesco yesterday getting some more fertilizer, their ground temp was posted at 45 degrees.

Last Monday (10 days ago) I had ground temps in the upper 30s.

So far this season, we've had 3 days in the low 70's and about 8 in the 60's.

Most of the temps have been upper 40's, low 50's, with lows in the low 30's.

We're about 14-18 days behind where we'd normally be.

I was at the Senior High I mow today and 1/2 the turf I would have just left faint tire tracks, there was no grass to cut.

The other 1/2 was only as long as though I mowed it about 4 days ago.

I hadn't mowed it yet this year.

Nice Global Warming Al, my PAL.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Are you in far northern MN? I am from WI and wouldnt move back to that crap weather for anything.
  3. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

It's been cold everywhere. Later starts than normal all around the midwest and guessing east.

Sucks though for you especially, that is a short season. Good thing you get a lot of snow I guess.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

I'm about 30 miles north of St. Paul.

As for the lots of snow comment.... 3 years ago we plowed a total of 7 times, 22".

2 years ago we plowed a total of 13 times.

Last year we plowed a total of 17 times, and I have accounts on 1/2" triggers.

Most of the snow fell in March and flippin April.

There were areas in MN that got 50+" of snow in April alone, most they had in 3+ years.

This weekend is fishing opener here. There's lakes in northern MN that still have ice floating in them.
  5. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

You must be in northern mn because here around the metro the low is 42.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

7. AC Man

AC Man LawnSite Member

Move to Florida. It was 93 freaking degrees today.
  8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to start mowing next week, I'm north of Minnesota :(
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnmrman - I hear ya. It has been a cold wet spring down in so. MN too. I just started mowing strong this week, but would say overall 10 days behind normal. I feel for you with the snow and cold temps you have had. Hang in there.

As for you southerners out there, I LOVE LIVING IN THE MIDWEST. You can have your 85 degrees and humid year round - I love the distinct seasons far too much for that hot nonsense. You gotta be hardy to live up here, tough as nails, makes a man a man:)
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yesterday we had a low in the 40's and a high of 87 degrees. A week ago I mowed in sleet and snow showers and we had lows in the upper 20's. We are about 3 weeks behind, compared to the last few years.