Seriously thining about upgrading to a 60" ZTR -HELP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by RonWin, Apr 26, 2013.

1. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously thinking about upgrading my 48" snapper pro s50x, right now here's whats in the mix for my considerations:
    1. Huster SuperZ or SuperZ HD
    2. Exmark Lazer Z
    3. Dixie Chopper
    4. Scag cheetah/tiger

Not in any order, except that for the hustler. I see that its the fastest but we all know fast isnt the best. Looking for overall best cut/spd/durability.

Anyone have any experience with these or advice? This will be my main mower and probably the last one i buy for a while. Most likely will not upgrade to a 72" mower, so its last stop here. Need to make a great decision!

Lemme know what you think!

2. nylesedwards

nylesedwards LawnSite Member

My e mark works wonders and I love it
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

It has been said many times in posts like yours. Do your homework with your dealer. Who do you have the best relationship with and how easy is it to go to them. Personally I love my Exmark, but the dealer is a turd. My local Toro dealer is awesome. When I went looking to buy another mower, I looked at other brands. Did reading on them, but it came down to Toro. I tested a couple mowers, one for over a week. The dealer is great, he services all my equipment now. Look for a dealer who will keep you mowing. When the electric clutch went out on my Exmark I pushed it into my trailer and took it to the Toro dealer. He helped me unload it and then asked if I was done mowing, I was not and he told me to go get a mower from out front (where they were for sale) and go mow he would call me when my mower is ready. I know my reply is long, but I hope it helps.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Too many issues withe the VX4 deck on the Hustler. Tons of info here on that subject.

Exmark lays down a beautiful cut, but only when it's dry out. Clumps bad when damp or wet.

Can't go wrong with the V+ deck on the Scag and the machines are great too.

I'd add in the JD's and the Gravely's to the mix. Both cut great, and Gravely is second to none in customer care/support. Their machines are top notch as well, especially the newer 400 series.

Demo, demo, demo, and when you're done with that demo some more. Then consider dealer support. It makes all the difference.

5. RonWin

Problem is that dealers around here ( atleast from who ive asked) do not demo. It sucks paying huge blind, then realizing that the mower you got may not be the best for you in the long run. My local dealer i use has dixie choppers but am not sure i want one of those or not. Also have a scag toro dealer near me.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Scag's are proven machines and don't really need any demo'ing to see how they cut anywhere in the country. I'd take one of them before the others that you listed if you have to buy without running on your properties. You can rest assured the QOC will be there.

7. RonWin

Wats the best model for 60" deck, for residential props. 1.25 acre or less ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cms_

cms_ LawnSite Member

It's a shame about the VX4 deck on the Hustler. Those ride and handle so good to me.

I'm in the situation as far as trying to decide on a 60ZTR. I'm trying to decide between Toro and Scag. Alot of dealers around support both so the decision gets harder lol...

9. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a Scag TT, Cheetah, or Tiger Cat with suspension seat and you won't go wrong. Other mowers with good decks are JDs and Ferris. A Ferris will cost as much as your truck though :)

We use 52s on properties the size you are talking about.

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

It depends on your size really. The Tiger Cat is too small for me. I'm all cramped up on it with the seat all the way back. It is cheaper though. The TT is my first choice followed closely by the Cheetah. I could give a rats furry fanny about the Cheeth's speed. It isn't practical for more than moving from site to site if you have a large HO Assoc to cut. I do like the suspension platform though. The TT is a very proven, tried and true mower.