Server question I think

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Seems Landscaping, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Seems Landscaping

Seems Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what you call what I'm looking for so I'll just explain it. Can you have your quick books or any whatever you use for estimates and job costing where more than one person can access it. Right now we have one computer that we share between partners. We are looking at leaving the home office for a real office. Once in the real office, I don't want to share a computer. If our secretary is inputting data in our system and I want to check some things out in my office, how do we do that.

Any info would help
    Thanks
    Jason

2. azsprinker

azsprinker LawnSite Member

Hi Jason, If I understand you correctly, I think what you are looking for is a office server. We have a company server that every computer in our office has access to. Once something is put into the server folder anyone can than bring it up on their own computers. For example If I place a invoice excel spreadsheet file into the server, my partner can then bring that up on his computer and look or edit it.

Is this what you are talking about?

Another way to do it is using Google drive, but everyone must have a gmail and it can be limiting.

I hope this helped!

-------------------------------------------
    Just saw the title of your post. Yes definitely a server question. As far as how to set up a server, we hired an IT company to take care of all the tech stuff!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. Seems Landscaping

Seems Landscaping LawnSite Member

Yes that helps, thanks. Now I know what to ask for when I shop around for one

4. LawnDeveloper

LawnDeveloper LawnSite Member

Have you checked out Dropbox? It places a folder on your computer but anyone anywhere can access it. Once they install the software on their computer they sign in and it gives them access to only the folders you want them to have. Check them out they explain better than I do.

Oh yea they also offer 2GB free. Enough for most office docs.

5. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

You can set up quickbooks and store the data on one machine. You can set up different users with different permission so say the admin can only access some records but not others.

You just have to set up multi-user, add the software to the other PC. This does not require more licenses but I think you are limited.

I just set up Clip on a network as well, it integrates quickbooks.

Many people are migrating to the cloud including those mentioned above.

If you set up a network in windows and allow file sharing you can access those files on another PC in the network. I think MS Office also uses One Note in this manner so you can share and collaborate.